Main Menu

Wiring 233G to subset

Started by coors, March 06, 2012, 08:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BO

Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 08:37:33 PM
Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 08:31:18 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on April 28, 2013, 07:14:38 PM
L1 and L2 on the network---and L1 and L2 on the terminal strip--- are all just connecting points. It doesn't matter which ones you use to connect the outside line (from AT&T or whatever) so long as you also use the same terminals for both the outside iine AND the red wire from Y in the phone to L1 and a jumper wire from C to L2. Is that what you have?

There should also be a short wire between BB and BBX.

Do you have test leads with aligator clamps on each end? (Or two pieces of wire.) If so, you can temporarily put the upper housing (the part with the dial and coin slots) aside. Then connect one lead between W and BB terminals on the backplate, and another between SL and R.

Are all of the connections according to the diagram? Maybe you could post some photos of the inside of the phone and we might see something that isn't right.
SEE PICS

BO

Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 08:38:52 PM
L1 and L2 on the network---and L1 and L2 on the terminal strip--- are all just connecting points. It doesn't matter which ones you use to connect the outside line (from AT&T or whatever) so long as you also use the same terminals for both the outside iine AND the red wire from Y in the phone to L1 and a jumper wire from C to L2. Is that what you have?

Do you have test leads with aligator clamps on each end? (Or two pieces of wire.) If so, you can temporarily put the upper housing (the part with the dial and coin slots) aside. Then connect one lead between W and BB terminals on the backplate, and another between SL and R.

Are all of the connections according to the diagram? Maybe you could post some photos of the inside of the phone and we might see something that isn't right.
SEE PICS

BO

Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 08:38:52 PM

SEE PICS

poplar1

should  be a wire from T in upper part of phone to B on the network.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Did you change handset cords? One is armored 4-conductor and other one is black 3-conductor.

BO

Quote from: poplar1 on April 28, 2013, 08:52:02 PM
should  be a wire from T in upper part of phone to B on the network.
yes, there is a wire from B on network to T on top terminal. It so black so prob hared to see.

BO

Quote from: poplar1 on April 28, 2013, 08:59:44 PM
Did you change handset cords? One is armored 4-conductor and other one is black 3-conductor.
yes. 4 wires. I have the yellow going to the ground, green & black going to the TR, and red to the T. I JUST CAN'T FIGURE THIS OUT!!!! Why do I get a dial tone when I press the 4 prong connectors in and hold when upper housing is not on but when I put it on, no dial tone?? Strange.

poplar1

I'm not familiar with those colors for a handset. The receiver wires should go to GN on the hookswitch and TR at the top. The transmitter should go to T and TR at the top.

GN stands for Green, not Ground. Originally, there was a ground connection to G on the coin relay, but your phone no longer has a coin relay. In any case, ground is not needed for use on modern lines.

When you push the transfer contacts together, you are shorting something out. The reason I suggested temporarily using the two wires from BB to W and SL to R is that this might have a similar effect.  Removing the upper housing and running the temporary jumpers suggested should indicate whether there are any problems with the upper housing

I can't see the dial cord connections to the terminal strip in the upper housing, but they may have been moved around. From top to bottom they should be White dial wire to W, Yellow to Y, Green to BB, Red to R and Black at the bottom.

What is the yellow wire connected to BBX just above the coin vault?

EDIT: The terminal above the coin vault is BKX. BBX is on the hookswitch terminals.

BO

There isn't any yellow wire connected to the BBX. It just looks that way in the pic. On the inside housing it is: 2 yellow wires to W, 1 red wire to Y, black and green wire to BB and 1 red wire to R and 1 brown to BBX. I will try the jumpers and let you know. T H A N K  Y O U  for your time!!

poplar1

Sorry, I meant BKX not BBX.

BO

I placed the temp. jumper cables as you stated and I get a perfect dial tone when I pick up the receiver. Is that good or bad? l.o.l.

BO

Quote from: poplar1 on April 28, 2013, 10:56:01 PM
Sorry, I meant BKX not BBX.
The BKX only has the one brown wire connected to it.

poplar1

Quote from: BO on April 28, 2013, 11:12:57 PM

I placed the temp. jumper cables as you stated and I get a perfect dial tone when I pick up the receiver. Is that good or bad? l.o.l.

That's good. Probably means one of the following:

1. Dial cord not connected to the correct terminals on the terminal plate near the bottom of the upper housing
2. Open contacts on dial--when the dial is at rest, there should be continuity between BB and W contacts on the dial, and between Y and BK contacts on the dial.
3. Poor contact between the transfer springs on the baseplate and the contacts in the upper housing.

BO

Thank you so much!!! We got this far. Not sure really what to do now but it looks like you narrowed it down to 3 things. Thank you again so much!!

poplar1

Did you check the colors of the wires in the dial cord to make sure they are on the right terminals?

After that, try removing one of the two temporary jumpers, then replace the upper housing.

Then put that jumper back and remove the other jumper, and again replace the upper housing.