News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

554 on eBay...sort of - not mine

Started by HarrySmith, February 21, 2020, 07:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just stumbled on this strange mish mash. Listed as a Western Electric 554 but has a much newer unbranded handset that has strange white caps with a non matching white cord. The dial does not fit in the case and it has an open center fingerwheel but is marked 1983? Any idea what is going on with this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-BELL-Rotary-Wall-Mounted-Phone-Beige-554-IOB-UNTESTED/124092642704
( dead link 2-27-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

Looks like a 554 with a K-type handset.

compubit

But I don't think the switch hook will hold that handset...

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

It would, but somewhat. It just doesn't look right though.
But I guess if one had the right handset, and really wanted the phone.. They would buy it.
KEN

poplar1

Looks like a 9C or 9CA dial. Open center dial  (7C) would have a wider slot for the finger stop. Also, even if they were still reissuing 7C or 7D dials at the WE Service Center in 1983 (R83-1 white sticker), they would change the finger stop and install the later type closed center finger wheels.

The later 2554s did accept K-type handsets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.