News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary Dial returns really slow or sticks.

Started by digoxy118, August 29, 2017, 11:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digoxy118

Have an old multi-line phone I purchased from eBay I would really like to play with on a 1A2 system I am just getting started playing with. This phone is I think a WE but not positive. It was really kind of strange, this phone had a white printed sticker on the bottom with 564HD. I pulled this sticker to reveal underneath A/B 565H* I-60. The phone seems to be in O.K. condition but the rotary seems to return slowly and sometimes sticks.

I have played with the rotary a little bit to see if the governor may be the problem but the governor spring is there and it seems to be functioning. I am reluctant to oil this or do anything that may cause problems later. I have never worked on these rotary's before so I am not clear on their operation. Might be difficult to find a replacement as this is for a multiline phone.

The rotary has these identification markings printed on it:
Stamped into the plate is Western Electric
Printed: 7H 60 / I-60 / 3065L

Situation to, the amphenol connector was cut off this phone, I hope it still works. I like the metal rotary on it.

Hope you guru's can help me get this back to operational status.

Thank you in advance for any insight and/or assistance.
Mike

HarrySmith

The dial probably needs to be cleaned. If you search the forum here you will find lots of topics on cleaning dials. The other option is send it to Steve Hilsz in Arizona, he will proessionally clean, lube & calibrate it for only $6.00. Steve is a great guy and does great work with these dials, I send all mine to him. He also has lots of parts available.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Click on the forum search button and enter these two words

ultrasonic cleaning

in the box, then click Search.

Lot of interesting topics will come up on quickly cleaning with non-lubricating contact cleaner to ultrasonic cleaners, or sending them to Steve.

LarryInMichigan

I usually have success on such dials by spraying them with electrical contact cleaner and then oiling the bearings very sparingly.

Larry