News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericsson dial with last digit dialled indicator

Started by tubaman, July 14, 2019, 04:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

The seller had two of these (I've just bought one - didn't want to be greedy!) and I believe they are pretty scarce. Here is the other one if someone wants to take a punt.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-rotary-telephone-dial-STOCKHOLM-untested/133111438908
( dead link 06-14-21 )

"Vintage rotary telephone dial has written on it - Telefon A.-B. L.M. ERICSSON STOCKHOLM. Sold as untested condition shown in pics used condition"

If it's what I think it is the little indicator on the front shows the last digit dialled.
I'm not expecting that it still works, but still a very interesting piece.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jack Ryan

They are interesting dials and a mechanical marvel.

I have a couple somewhere and yes, it shows the last digit dialled.

Regards
Jack

ma_xyz

thanks a lot for the hint tubaman.
i bought the other one.
will report back when it arrived.
greetings
michael

tubaman

Michael,

That's great - I'm glad its gone to someone who'll appreciate it.
We'll have to compare notes when they arrive.

James
:)

countryman

Congrats, both of you made a deal.
Let us know what you find out about the dials.
Did they come with certain phone models or were these parts to be fitted by a technician individually?

LarryInMichigan

With the housing over the back side of the dial, I would guess that they were made for use on a switchboard or perhaps some use other than in telephone set.

Larry

tubaman

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 15, 2019, 06:31:55 AM
With the housing over the back side of the dial, I would guess that they were made for use on a switchboard or perhaps some use other than in telephone set.

Larry

I must admit that that hadn't occurred to me but you are quite right.
I just like different dials and had only seen a photo of this type before. I was happy to take a gamble for £12.99 (approx $15).

Jack Ryan

A large proportion of Ericsson and, for that matter, Western Electric (7000 series) dials were retrofitted to CB telephones as auto operation was introduced. In these cases, the presence of a dial housing does not imply exchange use although, it doesn't preclude it either.

Jack

rdelius

I had one that was mounted in a painted grey  cast aluminium box with a latching lid. Reminded me of Navy type boxes

ma_xyz

Quote from: tubaman on July 15, 2019, 03:19:16 AM
We'll have to compare notes when they arrive.
Sure!! - may take a couple of weeks till it arrives, have it shipped to germany and will pick it up there, as shipping to Switzerland = "outside" EU is always a hassle with higher shipping costs and customs...

I have a couple of Ericsson "1931 Type" telephone sets and they all have the dial with the metal cup type cover mounted by 2 screws from on the rim of the dial. The dial is then hold to the phone bakelite shell by a bar screwed to this housing. See picture.

I never before have seen this dial with this indicator (nor any dial with such an indicator), can't wait to get it :-)

greetings
michael

tubaman

The dial has arrived and it is indeed a fascinating thing.
The good news is that the last number indicator still works perfectly. I'm glad as it's a rather fine bit of mechanics and wouldn't be easy to fix.
The dial mechanism was initially not working as the clutch on the pulsing wheel had bent out of shape a little so wasn't catching the wheel - I assume with age/use. A tweak with a small screwdriver has fixed this.
However, the dial is set for make pulses rather than break pulses. I thought it might just want adjusting to fix, but looking at it I believe it is made this way as the pulse wheel is the complete opposite of another Ericsson dial I have. The wheel as is gives approx 66/33 make/break so is the opposite ratio of a normal dial.
I can only assume it was made for an internal system of some sort?
That part is a bit disappointing as I was hoping to put this in a phone and possibly use it, but that won't be happening (not the 'using it' bit anyway).

HarrySmith

That is a very cool little thing there! Thanks for sharing. That is a shame about the pulsing. Maybe someone can come up with some kind of converter or adapter to make it work. It would be a shame to have such a cool feature that you can't use!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Connecting the dial to a relay would change it to open on pulse, but how to change the pps is a bit differant.
KEN

andy1702

I think I may have the standard version of one of these dials kicking around somewhere. If I remember right the pulses are done by two contacts squeezing on a flat disc with notches cut out of it. Am I right? If I am, then I may have got a disc in the parts box that could replace the current one. If you're willing to have a go at taking the dial apart that is!  :)
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.