News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a custom job, or a rarity?

Started by Dan, May 10, 2009, 08:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

http://tinyurl.com/ol3msu ( dead link 02-28-22 )

G-3 handset, 302 feet. Never seen one, even in the "design line series ."
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

My guess, homebrew as a gift or personal desk display.
The handset it too worn to be painted gold and not worn through the paint.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Makes me wonder how much money was won or lost using this stockbroker's phone.
"Yes, buy 47,000 shares of Ma Bell.  It's 1984. We'll make millions. After all, what could possibly go wrong?" ;)

I like the use of the marble, but note the rough cut edges of the marble base of the bull and bear.  That's not very professional work so I'm just guessing this isn't a factory job.

Dennis Markham

There is a similar one shown here on Paul F's site:

http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html

But it's touch tone and a bit different.  But I'll bet it's part of the Design Line series.

HobieSport

Is this the phone you mean, Dennis?  Here's what Paul wrote about it:

"Seven sculptures by Marcel Jovine were produced that could be mounted in place of the Olympic rings or displayed separately: Torch Carriers,  Equestrian, Yachting, Discus, Runner, Swimmer and Gymnast.   Original prices of the sculptures was $100 - 150.  Produced by the Barrett-Colea Inc. foundry, cast in polyester with pewter or bronze powder reinforced with wire and hand finished."

Dennis Markham

That was the one Matt.  I guess I didin't read the fine print.  I don't think the topic of this discussion would be included in the seven mentioned.

HobieSport

Quote from: Dennis Markham
I don't think the topic of this discussion would be included in the seven mentioned.

Nope. I'm guessing that Dan/Panther is probably correct that the "stockbroker phone" is a "home brew", that is, either a one-off as a commission and/or a gift, or perhaps a small series, done by a "phone artist". 

I could see maybe why they used the 302 feet, being classy suede, and one certainly wouldn't want this heavy phone to slip off the desk and smash, or land on someone's toes.

"Buy Buy Buy!...  Sell Sell Sell!...  Ow Ow OUCH!!!"

bingster

Perhaps not-so-coincidentally, area code 212 is Manhattan. 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

If you look at the handset photo, you can see the cradle markings, and the lettering is very worn, and what appears to be brush marks. I don't think they customized old phones. The least they would have done was replace the handset with one not so worn.
D/P

Bill Cahill

The color of the gold tells me recent home brew.
212 Is also the Bronx.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

AET

I personally like it, something different.  I think the black handset cord kinda throws things off though.
- Tom

Dan

I'm trying to minimize the # of threads I start. What the hell is this?

http://tinyurl.com/o4hkwv
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

It looks either really rare and valuable or really obscure and worthless.  Not sure which.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

Looks foreign made to me Soviet block.
D/P

Dan

well, it has a bid from  a collector, so it may be special?