News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Heavy Phone.

Started by Dan/Panther, November 04, 2009, 07:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I received a box today, that was a standard flat rate box from the P.O. which is what I normally receive and ship phones in. The box was extremely heavy for a phone, and I was almost convinced it wasn't a phone at all. I couldn't remember ordering anything that size that would be that heavy.
I opened it, and it was a soft cased '57 WE 500 all original matching numbers. When I got it home I weighed it, and it weighed in at 6-1/4 pounds, almost a pound heavier than similar phone from the same vintage.
Everything looks normal, but it's almosat a pound heavier than another 57 I'm replacing ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Dear God, please no roaches nest in the receiver......(they weigh about a pound)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Does the lighter one have a G3 handset?

Dan/Panther

The old one has a hard plastic case, the new one soft, both have G1 handsets.
the new phone has a heavier handset cord, line cords the same. Soft plastic, and heavier handset cord must really be made fom a much denser material ?
D/P

jsowers

Hopefully soft plastic is not like Soylent Green--made from people.  ;)  That would explain the smell, though. Seriously, those fat cords are monsters and I could see how they'd be a pound heavier. Some of the black cords in the 50s were rubber-coated too, according to something I read in a BSP. Those would be a lot duller in appearance than the usual plastic coated cords.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

My soft plastic 2/53 500 has a straight rubber handset cord.  The phone, with the handset cord, weighs a bit under 5 lbs.  The G1 handset is bakelite.

Larry

bwanna

ok.....somebody just has too much time on their hands. ;D ::) ;)
donna

foots

I have a '55 564 with the thick coiled rubber handset cord and a G1 handset. That phone, minus the line cord weighs just a hair over 5 lbs. That's a 5 line phone so I wonder what would make a regular 500 weigh so much more???
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on November 05, 2009, 09:29:19 PM
ok.....somebody just has too much time on their hands. ;D ::) ;)

This is where I usually say Bite Me... :o :o :o ;D :D
D/P