News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 Dial Out

Started by Logan1, April 07, 2014, 12:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan1

I have a Western Electric 302 1948 that works as an extention but I want to be able to dial out, I have U-verse network in my home. What would I need to make able to dial out.  Thanks
Worked at Western Electric in Plymouth Mich

Logan1

I have a Western Electric 302 Phone that works ok for an extention but I want to be able to dial out,  What would I need to make so it dials calls out.   I have seen things like pulse converters but I'm not sure what to use.   Thanks

twocvbloke

If the phone doesn't already dial out (I.E. dialling any digits doesn't get rid of the dial tone), then you do need a pulse-to-tone adaptor, the usual ones are the DialGizmo (simple, plugs in between line and phone) and there's the Rotatone which has to be fitted inside the phone (a bit more advanced), there are others but they're not as common... :)

The other alternative is a PBX such as the Panasonic 308 or 616, but that's only of use if you plan to have many phones in a collection... :)

HarrySmith

"Plan on many phones"?
Did any of us "plan" on several hundred?
If he is here it is too late, Phonitis already has him!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 07, 2014, 05:45:15 PMIf he is here it is too late, Phonitis already has him!

Well, I say plan, I know it's inevitable, but, I didn't want it to become too obvious...  ;D

Doug Rose

Make sure you have rotary service. Take a picture of the inside of the 302 base and dial and post it. I have never used a pulse converter. NEVER! Old phones will work on today's telephone systems. Start at the beginning, not at the end. Let's see the inside of your 302, see if we can get you working.  Welcome to the Forum...Doug
Kidphone

Logan1

When I dial it brakes the dial tone but that's all, I have U-verse service in my home. Trying to send pictures of dial.

Logan1

Had to figure this picture thing out, first time.

Contempra

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 07, 2014, 07:53:28 PM
Make sure you have rotary service. Take a picture of the inside of the 302 base and dial and post it. I have never used a pulse converter. NEVER! Old phones will work on today's telephone systems. Start at the beginning, not at the end. Let's see the inside of your 302, see if we can get you working.  Welcome to the Forum...Doug

I AGREE....

Dennis Markham

In these parts (Detroit, MI area), AT&T Uverse does not support pulse dialing.  I don't know if that is the standard throughout the Country or not.  If you spin the dial and you still have a steady dial tone, it may not support pulse dialing in your area.  Try taking your phone to the home of someone that has a different type of service and see if it works there.  I know that again, in this area Comcast VoIP does support pulse dialing.  I still have an old fashioned POTS line so it's  not an issue.  But Uverse may be your issue.

~Dennis

Logan1

If you are in Detroit I am in Wayne Michigan By Metro Airport, and have U-verse. Thanks

Dennis Markham

Logan, do you have any other rotary dial phones on the line?  If so, do they work?   How is your set marked.  If you look at the inside of the housing, near the "mouse hole" where the line cord exits, is it marked H1?  Does it ring when the number is called?

Logan1

Yes it rings when number is called, and it says H1 , no other phones on line.

Logan1

I will take it to my sons house and try it tomorrow he has Comcast, I have U-verse.  Thanks.

Dennis Markham

Logan, it's difficult to tell from photos sometimes if all the wires are connected properly.  It looks like you have a few wires connected to GND on the terminal plate.  Compare your wiring to the diagram provided here by Charles Hensley.  It's a pdf file with five pages.  Each page adds another component.  Like Handset, Mounting Cord, Switch, etc.  Makes it easy to trace and follow without reading a schematic.  I struggle with those myself.

Here's the thread with the PDF file on the first post:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5418.0