News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Holtzer Cabot/Stromberg Carson Desk Set

Started by Doug Rose, November 09, 2013, 05:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Being a boy from Boston, How bout those Red Sox, I am always looking for local phones. I picked up this real nice Holtzer Cabot desk set. Hotzer Cabot had a factory in Boston's Jamaica Plain section.  Really nice shape, but really dirty. As I cleaned, I rubbed too hard and damaged the HC decal. I was not happy with myself. As i removed the rest of the decal a SC decal was underneath. It sure looked like an SC set when I got it and I guess HC just pooped a decal over it and used it.

The paint is superb and it is just a beautiful set. Once the decal is gone, you can't get it back. Overall, I am very happy with this, original paint and a wonderful bakelite handset with a great cord.
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

wds

Those old handsets are hard to find.  Good find.
Dave

Doug Rose

thanks Dave....I am pleased the wa it turned out after me butchering it...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Looks real nice Doug. Looking at the pictures I kept wondering "Where is the SC decal" but I guess you meant they both came off, not that the damaged Holtzer Cabot decal came off leaving the SC decal behind. Over the years I have seen quite a few repro decals, would the SC decal be available?

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 10, 2013, 11:09:46 AM
Looks real nice Doug. Looking at the pictures I kept wondering "Where is the SC decal" but I guess you meant they both came off, not that the damaged Holtzer Cabot decal came off leaving the SC decal behind. Over the years I have seen quite a few repro decals, would the SC decal be available?

Terry
Terry ...as I scrubbed of the layers of grime with brasso, I forgot where I was an bingo the HC was dissolving. Under it I found an SC that I had damaged too much. ROOKIE Mistake!!! The decal is why I bought the phone, although I am not sorry, phone is in exceptional condition....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Well, not really a ROOKIE Mistake in this case. Accidents happen but it still looks great.

Terry

Doug Rose

thanks Terry...but I know better....OUCH!!!
Kidphone

Rescuemo

Great find! I love those early cradle sets. This one really looks pristine! 
-Morris

I have a lot of phones, but I don't have enough.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Rescuemo on November 13, 2013, 12:13:55 AM
Great find! I love those early cradle sets. This one really looks pristine! 
thanks Morris....its about as good as it gets for a very early desk set. Piant is wonderful and there are no chips or cracks in the bakelite handset....its a keeper....thanks....Doug
Kidphone