News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Shop Finds I didn't Purchase

Started by Nick in Manitou, November 30, 2013, 11:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

I don't know if there is a topic on the forum that might be a better place to post this, so I will do it here.

Recently we were able to scare up a little free time from my wife's job and went to a few antique shops in the central Ohio area.  There were a couple phones that I thought were interesting, but not ones that I was going to purchase.

I figured that if I posted photos of the phones here, perhaps it would alert someone who was looking for that particular phone to pursue it - either directly through the shop or with me assisting, if they were not in the area.

I don't know if the prices are good for these phones or not.  I just figured I'd send out an alert and see what happened.

Perhaps there should be a topic on the forum where folks who saw something a dealer had for sale but didn't purchase themselves could alert others on the forum that the item was available?

From searching the forum, I see that the Danish phones don't sell for a whole lot, but I don't know a more modern one from one from the '30s...so what do I know?  It seems that we could have a place that we could post what we see and if someone else wants to pursue it, they could do so, or just let it go...their choice.

One is apparently a  Kjobenhavns Aktieselskab unit for which the asking price is $65, and the other is a W.E. Call Box phone with an F6 receiver and the dealer said that his asking price is $85.

I have the phone number for the dealer with the W.E. and could find the phone number for the dealer on the other phone.

Does anyone here agree that this sort of posting makes sense? Or is the feeling that if one sees a phone he is not interested in for one reason or another, that he should just leave it in obscurity for another phone collector to stumble upon?

Thoughts?

Nick (In Manitou...In Columbus)

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Quote from: tallguy58 on November 30, 2013, 01:29:25 PM
Isn't that an explosion-proof phone?

Yes, it is but missing the dial finger wheel and number plate. I've seen them sell for a lot more on eBay, plus big shipping costs because of their weight.

http://www.paul-f.com/we520.htm

Sargeguy

I think its a great idea, I moved it to Flea Market/Yard Sale because it seems to fit here better.  

That explosion proof is is nice because you usually don't see them with the wall mount still attached.  They are impossible to mount without it.  The daisy wheel and dial should be relatively easy to find by comparison.  Is the lock missing?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

I have to admit that my first thought was that it was an explosion proof phone (probably from seeing discussions about them here), but when the shop owner said that it was a call box phone, I didn't bother even looking at the details on the phone.  I just had my wife take a picture and we headed out.

It does weigh a bit!

WEBellSystemChristian

How much did the shop owner want for it? I've seen them sell for quite a bit on eBay. By the way, I have always thought there should be a topic on here for non- purchased items at Antique stores and Thrift Shops.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

The Kjobenhavns would have to be in really nice shape to be worth more than $25.  I have bought several of them off ebay for under $25, and got another one a couple weeks ago for $4. (plus shipping)  Nice phones - not sure why they don't sell for a lot more than that. 
Dave

Nick in Manitou

Christian,

The shop owner said that his price on the W.E. was $85. 

I reviewed sold listings on eBay and of the three that I saw, a 2520 in what looks to be really nice shape went for $152.49 with free shipping, a rough 2520 without the mounting plate went for $199 + $23.90 shipping, and a 320 that was a bit rough recently went for $39.99 plus $20 shipping.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he did not call it an explosion proof phone, and I was trying to be disciplined and not examine it too closely and tempt myself.  (Now I regret not noting the model number and other info from the phone.)

Although the picture is not very clear at all, it certainly looks to be a 320 or similar model - and the weight seems to be appropriate for one.

I may end up going back to that town later this week for other reasons, and if no one else from the forum (or elsewhere) has purchased it by then, I will try to get better photos and more information.

In the mean time, if someone else should decide they need the phone, I would be pleased not to find myself owning another phone I don't have room for!

Nick

LarryInMichigan

The explosion proof phone is probably a good deal if you want a big ugly phone for your collection.  From my experience, many or most antiques shops and malls will give a 10% discount on almost any item over $20 for asking.  Some will give a discount for paying cash instead of using a credit card.

I would not pay $65 for the Danish phone.  I think that $35 would be a fair price given that there would be no shipping charges to pay.  You could try to make an offer.

Larry

Sargeguy

As the owner of two explosion proof phones, all I can say is "It seemed like a good idea at at the time"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

I have been wanting an explosion proof WE for my collection, but they are always too high priced, especially with shipping ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 01, 2013, 05:12:16 PM
I have been wanting an explosion proof WE for my collection, but they are always too high priced, especially with shipping ;D
They aren't cheap, for sure by the time you get them  there! And you want to make sure you don't drop them on your foot! I have a Lucent 2520B Explosion proof set mounted in the Demo room of the museum hooked into my Panasonic KSU - it is of great interest to visitors to the museum. I tell them it is a pregnant princess before telling them what it really is :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

As a basis for asking price, this one just came up on eBay at $300 BIN plus $16.85 shipping. The shipping seems like a good deal for this phone. Seller's description claims this is a "Never used explosion proof telephone ." I've never tracked sold prices on these. Seller listed it as an "Att 520 style model # 192l explosion proof telephone" and in "New" condition (New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). See the seller's listing for full details).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261354211344

------------------------------

Edit:  It's been re-listed in a 30 day auction at the same price and shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Att-520-style-model-192l-explosion-proof-telephone-/261401040283

HarrySmith

I was looking at that one this morning. That seems like a fair price, I have seen ones in worse condition go for $250 - $350.00. That shipping seems awful cheap!
It is strange to see the ATT tag on it, there is usually a WE tag in that spot. Appears to be exactly the same phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

I have a 520 and I paid a lot less for it.  I am having some difficulty mounting it on the bracket, it only goes on 1/2 way, but I did not put much effort into solving the problem.  I think the threads need to be cleaned and re-greased.  If they are going for that much I need to break it out and put some effort into it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409