News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Andy1702's collection

Started by andy1702, November 14, 2016, 03:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Here's just part of my collection when it went for a day out, on display at Kelham Island Industrial Museum in Sheffield a few months ago as part of an even organised by the local collector's club (it's a club for anyone who collects anything, not just phones!)

Most of what you see here are various types of UK 700 series, buth there are a few Indian and Swedish bakelites in there if you look closely. I've added quite a few more since then, including US & Canadian 500s and about another 20 LM Ericsson bakelites in various stages of disrepair, bought as a job-lot.

More photos to follow soon.

Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

andy1702

The forum is only letting me add one photo to each post for some reason.  :(

andy1702

Kenton K

andy1702

Yeah, it's the Indian version of a British 332. There were two on E-bay that had been painted, one red and one blue. I got outbid on the red one but managed to get the blue one. I think they were painted up for an amateur dramatics play or something from the description on the listing. I'm trying to decide whether to restore it back to the original black or leave it as it is. But as there are a lot of far worse condition projects in the queue, this one will stay as it is at least for now.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

The brown two tone is the best looking two tone I've seen. The colors complement each other nicely.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

I would leave it painted.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andy1702

Quote from: Pourme on November 14, 2016, 10:06:01 PM
The brown two tone is the best looking two tone I've seen. The colors complement each other nicely.

The brown ones aren't actually brown... They're grey! They're a good example of how the colours of UK phones of this period change over time with exposure to light. Ivory phones turn yellow, grey phones turn brown and blue phones turn dark green. The worst ones to sort out are the ivory ones because sometimes you have to take a really good look to decide if it's a genuine yellow one (quite rare) or an ivory one with a suntan (common!)

Originally 700 series phones had cases made of Diakon, which is colour stable. Unfortunately it breaks easily, so not many of those early cases survive.

twocvbloke

Quote from: andy1702 on November 15, 2016, 07:49:02 AMOriginally 700 series phones had cases made of Diakon, which is colour stable. Unfortunately it breaks easily, so not many of those early cases survive.

It's mostly the early 706 models that used Diakon (referred to as Perspex today) for their housings and handsets, one of my 706 phones has a Diakon handset, it holds its shine nicely compared to the ABS shell it sits upon, but does have chipped pieces within the handset which sadly was the downfall of the plastic, too brittle, despite being easier to keep shiny... :-\

andy1702

I've been adding 776 phones to the collection just recently. Some people call them 'Jubilee' phones after the version created for the Queen's silver jubilee in 1977. That's not quite right though because the Jubilee phone was never issued as a 776.

Here we see a genuine 776 built in 1981. It's in the light brown colour, which as far as I know was unique to the 776. It came complete with it's seperate bell box, which has now been converted to make the phone compatible with the modern BT plug & socket system.

Other than the conversion, there was not much restoration involved to get this phone into the condition you see. Just a bit of cleaning and dial speed adjustment, then the whole thing was finished off with one of my reproduction dial labels.

andy1702

Here's the lone 8100R, which was got working again thanks to the help of others on this forum. It's in 'Buzby yellow' which is far brighter than most other phones being produced in the early 1980s.

twocvbloke

Quote from: andy1702 on November 18, 2016, 12:43:44 PMIt's in 'Buzby yellow' which is far brighter than most other phones being produced in the early 1980s.

That's one thing I really remember about BT products when I was growing up in the late 80s & through the 90s, everything always seemed to be yellow, the phones, the payphones, the 7A kiosks (I only know of one of those still standing, phone in it is wrecked though), the vehicles, etc., even my 286A Linesman phone, very, "interesting" choice of colours...  ;D

andy1702

At least it's a nice bright yellow, unlike the 706 in yellow, which always looked to me like it needed a good scrub!

I remember when the vehicles turned light grey they originally had a white logo on the side. There was a big stink about it because it was claimed they couldn't be seen in fog. Then some accademic claimed white was actually more visible than bright colours. Some colwn obviously heard this which lead to white fire engines around here for a while! They're all red again now though.

twocvbloke

I remember the grey BT vans, infact my ex of 10 years ago ended up with an ex-BT Ford Fiesta van (the car style one, rather than the Courier style) after her micra got side-swiped, nowt left in it, just a silhouette of the BT piper on either side where they'd peeled it off...  ;D