News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you hookup an AE 33 ringer to AE 183

Started by flatlander, October 30, 2009, 12:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

I m trying to hook up an AE 33 ringer to AE 183 space saver. Ant suggestions would be helpful

Phonesrfun

I am not familiar with the AE33 so a picture might help.  Understand that the insides of the 183 space saver was not designed for a ringer, so I assume you are hooking it up external to the phone body itself.

AE mostly had a ringer that has a coil that has red and green leads coming out of the coils.  A capacitor would either be a square aluminum small box-shaped thing with a white and black wire coming out of it.  Or the capacitor could be the newer smaller ones that are simply a molded yellow or brown blob shaped thing about the size of your pinky finger; also with leads coming out but not color coded.

Generally, all you do is hook the capacitor in series with the ringer coil by hooking one capacitor lead to one ringer lead.  Then hook the free side of the ringer to one side of the phone line, and the free side of the capacitor to the other side of the phone line.
-Bill G

flatlander

It is an external AE Ringer. I have enclosed a picture.

bingster

Given the fact that this phone contains a network, and that the ringer is nothing more than an extension ringer, I'm thinking the phone doesn't actually need to hook directly to the ringer at all.   I'm thinking you could hook the incoming phone lines to the proper terminals on the ringer, and then hook the line cord to the telephone to the very same terminals.  I don't think it should be any more complicated than that.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Looking at the picture and the terminal strip at the bottom of the picture, there are 5 terminals on the terminal strip,  Going from left to right, it looks like the green ringer wire is (hopefully) connected to terminal #1 along with one capacitor yellow wire.  If it is not hooked up this way, do so. 

Terminal # 2 looks vacant, which is good.  #3 has the other yellow capacitor connected to it; #4 is vacant, and #5 has the red ringer wire hooked to it.

Make sure the green ringer wire is connected to terminal #1, as I cannot tell for sure by the photo.

Hook the phone line to terminals 3 and 5, and it should ring.

-Bill G