"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another hang up issue

Started by ntophones, November 05, 2009, 06:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Hello,
I wrote earlier about my ae40 not being able to hang up (disconnect a call) only when another phone has called into the phone. (This phone will dial out and disconnect properly upon hanging up the handset, as well as ring and answer an incoming call properly. It will not disconnect the incoming call, however--just leaves the line open, even if I unplug the phone.)
However, I noticed that sometimes I can actually end an incoming call if the phone is open and I jiggle the plunger several times really fast. But, I really can't duplicated this very often. I also smell a little heat from the hookswitch (it sparks a little). O.k., that sounds like a short. I just don't know how to troubleshoot this. Does it sound like the hookswitch? a wire? a cold solder joint? and, which part would you start with?
Thanks,
nto
--nto

Phonesrfun

Even if you completely unplug the phone?  That would seem to eliminate the phone as the problem.

What other phones and/or devices (i.e. caller ID or answering machines) do you have connected?
-Bill G

ntophones

Well, in other rooms I have caller id hooked up. But, I'm testing it by unplugging my WE 500 phone, which hangs up fine every single time, regardless of incoming or outgoing calls.

By the way, should a hookswitch smell hot and spark a little?
--nto

Phonesrfun

No, it should'nt.  There should not be enough current on a phone line to do that. 

However, the switch may be damaged to the point that there are major carbon deposits on it, as an aftermath of some event where there was considerable arcing of the switch contacts.  If the switch contacts are that damaged, then you may need to clean them up with some sandpaper.  Can you get a picture of the switch?

The strange thing is that you can completely unplug the phone and it does not hang up.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

What kind of service do you have coming into your house?

Standard POTS from a phone company?
Internet VoIP phone such as Vonage?
Bundled service from cable provider?

Just curious.
-Bill G

ntophones

I sanded the switches a bit, and then I started noticing the sparks.
Here are a couple of pics. Wait--having trouble with pics.

I have a standard POTS line from ATT.

Since I can hang up on occasion, I really don't know how or when, does it sound like a short?
--nto

ntophones

Here are some pics:
The first 2 are with the plungers up (handset off)
the last one  is with plungers depressed (handset "on")
--nto

ntophones

Well,
Bill was right! Everyone was right! It was the phone company--"Old central offices may still be in place that have what is known as calling party supervision.  That means that the calling party controls the line.  The answering party can hang up all they want, but the switches will not "take down" or disconnect the call until they either time out or the originating party hangs up.  If you are the one making the call, your phone may be keeping the call active until you hang up. 

If this is the case, it has nothing to do with the phone you are using to make the call, but rather the central office you are on.  So, try using another telephone to place the call, and see if the same thing happens.

I used to notice this years ago."
-Bill
Bill--what a nice guy!!! He called me and we were able to troubleshoot and determine that this was the case all along!
It takes about 20 to 30 seconds for the phone to disconnect an incoming call--I just wasn't able to find out for myself.
For that, I thank Bill very, very much.
Here are some pics of my beautiful little ae40:
--nto

Phonesrfun

Great looking AE 40!  You even have the chrome bands on the handset and all the other chrome trimmings!

Glad to help out.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

That IS a beautiful phone.  I like the dial card too!

ntophones

Thanks!!! I've really loved sprucing this phone up, though if it ever gets sold, it will definitely have to read "made of parts!" (It started out that way, though). I added the chrome butler bar and nickel handset rings, and put in a straight line ringer and condenser for that ringer. The wonderful person that gave me the phone put in a  dial he had and a handset he had laying around the house. He also gave me a great chrome fingerwheel and dial card holder, which was actually chrome underneath the black paint. The rest of the parts came with the phone.  :D

I downloaded a blank dial card and used my computer to put in a phone number. How much fun are computers!

Thanks for the help, all of you on this forum! I can't say nice enough things about you all!

nto
--nto