News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

To Organize Small Parts/Components

Started by 19and41, September 14, 2021, 07:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Being older, I'm taking plenty of meds.  This leaves me with a ready supply of prescription vials.  My current pharmacy labels them with an easily removable label.  Such containers can be difficult to store in an easily retrievable manner, but I've found one that works.  You need closed cell polyethylene foam.  It is usually used to protect electronic equipment and home appliances.  Don't use the styrene foam that disintegrates into statically charged plastic debris.  it should be as thick as half the vial's height. you need to take a vial and cut off the closed end.  then take a small sharp knife or a rotary tool and cut a beveled edge on the mouth of the end you opened up, to make a cutter that will cut a hole the diameter of the vial.  You then have a recess that you can place a vial in.  If you make the bevel on the outside with the edge on the inner wall you will have a snug recess the vial will stay in until needed.  These seem to hold up pretty well.  The one pictured is about 7 years old and in constant use at my place of work.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Good idea, but what's with the numbers?
I imagine you know what all the number mean.

I bag pack my parts because I have clear bags I used after refurbing telephone sets, and I have a heat sealer.
So any parts I have get bagged and sealed.

I had a huge plastic drawer unit I used before I decided on bags, because moisture can get to some parts.

KEN

19and41

The long ones are Motorola part numbers, the shorter ones are in-house identifiers for Motorola parts.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RB

Great idea!
I used an electrical fitting for terminating a flexible conduit sharpened in the same manor to stamp out rubber disks.
unfortunately, I can't remember what I used them for???
Thanks for sharing ;)

RotoTech99

Dear RB:

I like to use clear bead boxes, or clear fishing tackle style clear boxes to put small screws, cord restraints, blank modular plugs in.

The ones with removable dividers work best,
IMO.

RotoTech99

FABphones

Thanks for the handy tip 19and41.  :)

Quote from: RotoTech99 on October 04, 2021, 09:34:16 AM
...I like to use clear bead boxes, or clear fishing tackle style clear boxes to put small screws, cord restraints, blank modular plugs in.

The ones with removable dividers work best...

I have a similar setup. Large plastic 'parts bins' for housings etc, and the tackle style boxes for smaller parts. Removable dividers create a good fit and are handy small component organisers.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble