"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone wiring, wisdom,and, identification help needed

Started by RB, October 16, 2017, 12:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

RB
What you've got is a model 236G. At one time it was a 233G that seems to have been updated. Don't know by who but the old number should have been blacked out and the new model number stamped on it.
Attached is the correct drawing.

You might want to pull off the black tape that's covering the fingers of the transfer contacts (flat blades hanging down) below all the screws where the wiring is attached.  See picture.
Make sure that none of them are touching each other. Might pay to slide a piece of cardboard or thin plastic between each of them. They were used in a 233 but not in a 236. None of them should be shorted together.
Next you might want to look at the hook switch contacts from the side. Make sure that the contacts that should be connected together when the handset is off the hook really are connected. Look at them from the right hand side. See picture. The contacts that should be connected are marked.

Stan S.

RB

Stan, thank you for the info!
I have that schematic, and that puts me back to needing the gnd wire hooked to something to get it to work?
I only have t and r to work with currently.

Stan S

RB
The ground was used for the high voltage that triggered the coin relay. You don't need it to make the phone work as a normal extension phone.

Check and make sure that the hook switch contacts are operating properly. From experience I found that the front set of contacts get bent when folks that don't know what they're doing handle those payphones.

Since the handset was obviously changed, you might want to check that the receiver and transmitter are wired to the right places. An Automatic Electric handset cord used different colors than a Western. The wiring might have gotten mixed up.

Stan S.

RB

RB

I got the payphone cleaned up, and the dial cleaned, and the hook switches worked over. It now has 4 pieces of heat schrink over the down pointing blades, and both switches working/adjusted. The inner switch, was bent, now is great.
will test tonite and see if I got it talking.

RB