News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Illinois Bell Telephone Bronze Office Sign

Started by Fabius, August 06, 2017, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Picked up this bronze sign at the recent ATCA show in Indiana for $90. Must weigh about 40 pounds. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on August 06, 2017, 11:45:12 AM
Picked up this bronze sign at the recent ATCA show in Indiana for $90. Must weigh about 40 pounds. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up.
Nice!  Always wanted a NYTEL or SNET sign of similar style when I lived in those places but never got one. 

When they changed out all the NYTEL signs to NYNEX they gave the NYTEL signs to bonafide Pioneers groups but I did not qualify as one.   :'(

I do have a fluorescent-lit 24" round plastic booth-top Pacific Bell sign.  I'll post a photo if there is interest.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 06, 2017, 01:50:12 PM
I do have a fluorescent-lit 24" round plastic booth-top Pacific Bell sign.  I'll post a photo if there is interest.

Like you have to ask....  :D
TWinbrook7

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: AL_as_needed on August 06, 2017, 02:35:42 PM

Like you have to ask....  :D
Yes!  Sometimes things I think will be of interest evoke no reaction!

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 06, 2017, 03:10:06 PM
Yes!  Sometimes things I think will be of interest evoke no reaction!

Well those are dense, emotionless people  :P
TWinbrook7

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: AL_as_needed on August 06, 2017, 03:52:49 PM
Well those are dense, emotionless people  :P
Maybe.  With no responses any conclusions would be speculative!

The surprising thing is that it requires a huge Circline bulb, 18" or something, which I did not even know existed.   I've only seen the two smaller sizes.  Even more surprising is that Home Depot stocks them.

Sargeguy

Are you planning on hanging it by your front door?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 06, 2017, 05:31:43 PM
Are you planning on hanging it by your front door?
No plan to do so.  Probably won't put it on top of a booth either.

HarrySmith

Very Cool! I like both signs. I have seen building signs similar to that on eBay but they always want hundreds of dollars for them.
Good buy!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Alex G. Bell

Since there seems to be interest, here's another public phone sign.  This is an architectural item, not a telco one. 

It's a metal box which mounted in the wall with just the front plate above the surface, containing two 25W Edison base lamps mounted in ceramic sockets on the two opposite ends.  I replaced the lamps with CFs so I can leave it on. 

The words "COIN TELEPHONE" are cut into the front cover and filled with thick molded green glass which projects through the cut-out letters.  "They don't make stuff like this anymore..."

It's difficult to get a good single photo since illuminating the front tends to wash out the light coming through the glass.  The second one was hand held, slow exposure and a little shaky.

Victor Laszlo

Which question do you think will occur first in our future:

What's a coin telephone?

or

What's a coin?

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on August 06, 2017, 08:11:25 PM
Which question do you think will occur first in our future:

What's a coin telephone?

or

What's a coin?
"What's a telephone".

rfkimba

Hi Tom,

I was viewing Chuck Eby's Facebook video posting of the Shipshewanna show display tables as I could not attend.   He mentioned a table of a Jack Schneider or Snyder or something similiar to that  name. There were several porcelain phone  signs at that table  which I collect .  I couldn't find any listing in either the ATCA or TCI directories. Do you know know the correct spelling of his  name and his contact info?

Thanks,
Bob Farber
ATCA 4685, TCI
c609335487

Fabius

Jack had the tables next to mine. He lives in Ohio I believe and his last name is spelt Snyder I think John Huckeby the show host should have Jack's contact info. Jack had two very rare signs but they are not cheap.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke