News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brass Plated 40al

Started by Argee, September 08, 2013, 07:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argee

I picked this up at an estate sale for $7.  At the time I thought it was a reproduction, because of the bare brass.  It looks like it was a lamp at some point because there is a hole drilled in the top of the perch, and the receiver wire is a fake. 

Upon further inspection, as far as I can tell it's all original parts.   Both the base and shaft are magnetic, which fits with it being a 40al.   I suppose the question is when did it pick up it's brass coating on the shaft and base?   It's missing it's transmitter, mouthpiece and wiring, I'll need to source compatible replacements.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Theories? 

Sargeguy

Are you certain the shaft and base are steel? Sometimes magnets will respond to the switch plate and stem bolt?  Otherwise I have no idea.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

southernphoneman

Quote from: Argee on September 08, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
I picked this up at an estate sale for $7.  At the time I thought it was a reproduction, because of the bare brass.  It looks like it was a lamp at some point because there is a hole drilled in the top of the perch, and the receiver wire is a fake. 

Upon further inspection, as far as I can tell it's all original parts.   Both the base and shaft are magnetic, which fits with it being a 40al.   I suppose the question is when did it pick up it's brass coating on the shaft and base?   It's missing it's transmitter, mouthpiece and wiring, I'll need to source compatible replacements.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Theories? 

try posting in the classified section of this forum, you never know who has what,oldphoneworks,although expensive has some also as well as ebay, and nice 40 AL also,Gregg

Argee

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 08, 2013, 08:16:29 PM
Are you certain the shaft and base are steel? Sometimes magnets will respond to the switch plate and stem bolt?  Otherwise I have no idea.

That occurred to me as well, but I checked while disassembled, they are definitely steel underneath the brass.