News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

candlestick/mounting cord

Started by southernphoneman, July 12, 2013, 01:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

pictured below is the inside of my candlestick and below the terminles is the 3 conductor mounting cord. can someone tell me what goes where? thankyou.

poplar1

Quote from: southernphoneman on July 12, 2013, 01:17:26 PM
pictured below is the inside of my candlestick and below the terminles is the 3 conductor mounting cord. can someone tell me what goes where? thankyou.

Green goes with green receiver wire on GN
Yellow goes with transmitter wire on Y
Red goes to R (middle terminal of hook switch).
White receiver goes to W (top terminal of hook switch)
Other transmitter wire goes to YY (bottom terminal of hook switch)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on July 12, 2013, 01:37:35 PM
Quote from: southernphoneman on July 12, 2013, 01:17:26 PM

Green goes with green receiver wire on GN
Yellow goes with transmitter wire on Y
Red goes to R (middle terminal of hook switch).
White receiver goes to W (top terminal of hook switch)
Other transmitter wire goes to YY (bottom terminal of hook switch)
thank you poplar 1 got the mounting cord hooked up,got some more work to do to it to get it working.

southernphoneman

I only found one transmitter wire in this phone, should it have 2 ? thank you.

poplar1

Quote from: southernphoneman on July 13, 2013, 07:42:13 AM
I only found one transmitter wire in this phone, should it have 2 ? thank you.

Yes, for a 20-AL or 40-AL, one transmitter wire to Y and the other to YY.

It's true that the early ones like 20-B with uninsulated transmitters have only one transmitter wire, which goes through the back of the transmitter bell (cup). However, on these, there is only one hole for feeding the transmitter wire from back to front of the rack, and only two terminals (instead of three) for the hook switch.

southernphoneman

thankyou poplar 1 for your help.i now have it hooked up like you said and I tested it out on a 685 subset(probably not the right one but that's all I have) and got nothing at all, any other suggestions? thank you.

poplar1

Quote from: southernphoneman on July 13, 2013, 11:22:00 AM
thankyou poplar 1 for your help.i now have it hooked up like you said and I tested it out on a 685 subset(probably not the right one but that's all I have) and got nothing at all, any other suggestions? thank you.

With a 685A, you would need a 5-conductor cord. If you just want to test the phone for dial tone and transmit, but not be able to disconnect, connect red wire to R, green to GN and yellow to B. Run temporary jumpers between L1 and RR and between L2 and C. Connect the incoming line to L1 and L2.

The additional 2 wires in the cord from the subset to the phone would open the connection between L2 and C (or between L1 and RR). You would have to rewire the 40-AL so that the hook switch could be used for these 2 wires. The 3 wires currently connected to the hook switch would be removed and connected together.

The input to a 425 network is C and RR. The output is R, GN, and B.

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on July 13, 2013, 12:03:14 PM

With a 685A, you would need a 5-conductor cord. If you just want to test the phone for dial tone and transmit, but not be able to disconnect, connect red wire to R, green to GN and yellow to B. Run temporary jumpers between L1 and RR and between L2 and C. Connect the incoming line to L1 and L2.

The additional 2 wires in the cord from the subset to the phone would open the connection between L2 and C (or between L1 and RR). You would have to rewire the 40-AL so that the hook switch could be used for these 2 wires. The 3 wires currently connected to the hook switch would be removed and connected together.

I think I have this right, but I am a little confused as to how to wire the phone it self, thank you

poplar1

Quote from: southernphoneman on July 13, 2013, 03:30:42 PM

I think I have this right, but I am a little confused as to how to wire the phone it self, thank you

I don't either unless you use a 5-conductor cord. Can you now transmit and receiver to another phone on the same line that is off-hook?

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on July 13, 2013, 03:46:46 PM
Quote from: southernphoneman on July 13, 2013, 03:30:42 PM

I don't either unless you use a 5-conductor cord. Can you now transmit and receiver to another phone on the same line that is off-hook?
I picked up another phone and held it to my ear and blew in the transmitter of the candlestick and I could here it on the other phone but not the other way around.

WesternElectricBen

Woh, a tripod mounted dial phone is used as a test set... I hope it wasn't colored!

Ben

poplar1

If it transmits, yellow and red wires of the cord must be OK. So look for a problem with the following:

1. An open white wire from the receiver to the phone  (Check the spade tips)
2. An open green wire from the receiver to the phone  (ditto)
3. An open green wire from the 500 to the 40-AL         (ditto)
4. The hookswitch contacts (should all 3 close together)
5. An open receiver. (Substitute another receiver, even one from a 500)

southernphoneman

I think I might have found part of the problem. I opened up the receiver and isn t there supposed to more in here than this? thank you poplar 1 for your help I apprectate it.

TelePlay

Yes, there is more. Four parts in total not counting the cords.

I just grabbed this photo off of an eBay listing for example. The seller said it was a receiver for a Stromberg-Carlson candlestick. This may not be the exact electro-magnetic core needed for your receiver but it is similar and being used here for descriptive use, rather than trying to describe the part with words.

southernphoneman

Quote from: TelePlay on July 13, 2013, 04:50:16 PM
Yes, there is more. Four parts in total not counting the cords.

I just grabbed this photo off of an eBay listing for example. The seller said it was a receiver for a Stromberg-Carlson candlestick. This may not be the core needed for your receiver but it is similar and being used here for descriptive use, rather than trying to describe the part with words.
thank you teleplay,thats what I thought,i will have to search ebay for the proper part, but it explains a lot thanh you to you and to poplar 1for your input.