"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Telephone Co. Candlestick Phone

Started by mienaichizu, July 15, 2013, 09:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

Hi Guys,

I found this candlestick phone over a local internet buy and sell site and I'd like to ask your expertise if this is a reproduction or not. The seller says that he bought this in Thailand and the phone is fitted with modern telephone jack and ready for use.

here is also the link

http://tinyurl.com/lxv8zw2

Thanks!!

Ramil

WesternElectricBen

I don't know much about them, but I think thats a re-pro. I heard in the 70's they made re-pros in Asian countries.

Ben

Doug Rose

I'd like to see a better picture of the second photo with the mouthpiece add on that is not seen in the first picture. ...Doug
Kidphone

mienaichizu

hi doug, this is all the photos that the seller has
he has a third photo but blurred
I will try to ask the seller if he can provide more photos

thanks

baldopeacock

Dial looks AE.   I'd guess it's a repro.

G-Man

Quote from: baldopeacock on July 15, 2013, 10:55:06 PM
Dial looks AE.   I'd guess it's a repro.

The first Western Electric telephones used with dial exchanges were equipped Automatic Electric dials so one cannot definitively say whether it is a reproduction or not based upon the dial.

Someone should pose the question as to whether it a reproduction on the (U.K.) Strowger listserve since the transmitter also has LONDON stamped on it.

Doug Rose

I agree with G-Man that there is not enough info to call it a repro. If it really does have a MP attachment as you can partly see in pic two, I would lean towards it being real. I have never seen a repro MP attachment, then again unless I hold it in my holds I can only guess....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Looks like a repro to mr:
-brassed out parts
-AE dial
-weird dial card
-thin plastic-looking cords
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

G-Man

I agree that the brassed out parts and cords are not authentic but there are lots of vintage telephones that through the years have had their cords replaced and paint striped and the brass polished for a perceived antiquish look.

But again, why do some think an A.E. dial makes it a reproduction? And yes the dial does look "different" as do most early A.E. dials and their instruction cards from that era.

Since I am not an expert on early British telephones and most others on this list don't seem to be that familiar with them either, I would once more suggest that someone make an inquiry on the (U.K.) Strowger listserve, where the real experts reside.

LarryInMichigan

Repro British candlesticks were produced in large quantities in India, and some used mixed real and repro parts.  I would avoid this one.

Larry

G-Man

Based upon superficial research, if it is a reproduction and not an original, it appears to be based upon the British 150 deskstand (candlestick to some) with a No. 1 microphone (British parlance for transmitter) or at least seems to be similar.
Other photos of the 150 instruments show them with later type No. 22 Bakelite microphones which are similar to our replacement bulldog transmitters which were used to upgrade older sets.   

The photo I have included looks to be a later version that was manufactured after the GPO bought out the Bell interest so there are no Bell Telephone Co markings on the transmitter.
Since I am not an expert with these instruments I would not endorse purchasing it without consulting a real expert but by the same token, I  would not discourage further investigation on a piece that is potentially very valuable.

The telephone in the photo is for sale at £450 or about U.S. $677.61 at the current exchange rate. Since the transmitter is marked with the older BELL TELEPHONE CO LONDON, it could be potentially be worth even more. But again, this is only if it is not a reproduction!

Sargeguy

Here is a similar phone on eBay from Canada, also crappy photos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111120658030
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WesternElectricBen

And who would want that color of red on a wall?

Russ Kirk

While I'm not an expert,  the base in the original photo looks like it has a stepped ridge. I have been burned too many times,  so when I see a questionable phone, I pass until I can get more info.  So if the experts here are unsure on its originality I would also pass. 

Oh, BTW,  I like the red walls.  Here's my kitchen in a wine red.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

G-Man

Quote from: Russ Kirk on July 16, 2013, 05:54:47 PM
While I'm not an expert,  the base in the original photo looks like it has a stepped ridge. I have been burned too many times,  so when I see a questionable phone, I pass until I can get more info.  So if the experts here are unsure on its originality I would also pass. 

Oh, BTW,  I like the red walls.  Here's my kitchen in a wine red.

With all due respect Russ, it does not appear that there are any experts (including myself) on British telephones of this vintage on this list. Since none of us are knowledgeable about all aspects of telephone collecting it only makes sense to consult with those who are experts in specialized areas such as this.

It would be easy to pass on it but who knows, if it turns out to be authentic then it could make a valuable addition to someone's collection or end up funding purchases that are more in line with a given collector's area of interest.

While I understand your hesitation, personally I would not want to discourage a fellow collector from investigating whether this is truly a valuable find or a collage of cheap mismatched parts of various origins.

By the way, I also like your décor!