News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Box of phone stuff

Started by Greg G., April 12, 2015, 03:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

My brother just called from an automotive swap meet in Portland (OR) and said there was a box of old phone stuff for $25.  He described a handset to me by number, I googled it while he was on the phone, an MI-2040-A which I believe is a naval sound-powered handset.  The other stuff he described sounded like either a subset or a hotel phone (or both) and dials and some other stuff (it's a little difficult to ask non-collectors for specifics when they don't know what to look for or where).  Since the entire box of OPS was only $25, I just told him to grab it, I figure if it turns out to be a bust, it's not a budget-buster.  Not going to have it shipped, I'll just wait until the next time he's up here or I'm down there.  In the mean time, here's a picture of a similar handset I found online.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Brinybay on April 12, 2015, 03:20:06 PMThe other stuff he described sounded like either a subset or a hotel phone (or both) and dials and some other stuff (it's a little difficult to ask non-collectors for specifics when they don't know what to look for or where).

I'd be dying to know what was in the box.  If it was my brother, I'd ask him to email me some photos!   ;D
Cliff

Greg G.

Quote from: NorthernElectric on April 12, 2015, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on April 12, 2015, 03:20:06 PMThe other stuff he described sounded like either a subset or a hotel phone (or both) and dials and some other stuff (it's a little difficult to ask non-collectors for specifics when they don't know what to look for or where).

I'd be dying to know what was in the box.  If it was my brother, I'd ask him to email me some photos!   ;D

I did ask him, haven't seen it yet.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

baldopeacock

Quote from: Brinybay on April 12, 2015, 03:20:06 PM
  He described a handset to me by number, I googled it while he was on the phone, an MI-2040-A which I believe is a naval sound-powered handset. 

That could be broadcast equipment as well, or communications.   RCA's broadcast equipment all had MI -- numbers like that.   MI stood for "Master Item".

Greg G.

Here are the pics.  I thought he said there were some dials, but maybe he said "no dial" in the case. 

3 real handsets.
1 toy handset.
1 case, maybe for a 302.
1 receiver shell, no cap.
1 black coiled cord (looks like it's modular).
1 cord with a jack.

The receiver shell I can use, just need a cap.  The painted yellow handset appears to be an F1, but there's no markings on it.  The other non-painted handset doesn't have any markings either, and the receiver cap only has 4 holes.  The 302(?) shell appears to be metal.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More pics.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

The yellow painted handset looks like it's for a North Gallion. The 302 housing looks like a metal version.
You could sell most of this stuff could sell on ebay for a good amount of money.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

All that stuff has to worth at least $27.50!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 13, 2015, 05:05:28 PM
All that stuff has to worth at least $27.50!!!

So I came out $2.50 ahead, at least it wasn't a bust.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

I figure $10 for the 302 housing, $15 for the 143AW shell, and $1 each for the other items.  So maybe a little more.  Although those sound powered handset you can't give them away in my experience.  I have a pair of WWII surplus WECO ones with cords that I was trying to unload and received no bids at $9.99.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 14, 2015, 04:10:06 PM
I figure $10 for the 302 housing, $15 for the 143AW shell, and $1 each for the other items.  So maybe a little more.  Although those sound powered handset you can't give them away in my experience.  I have a pair of WWII surplus WECO ones with cords that I was trying to unload and received no bids at $9.99.
I would probably say, in this case, the parts would be better off saving in storage than trying to sell on ebay. Better to save it and have a need for it someday than either making an incremental profit, or losing your shirt by trying to sell it all on ebay without luck (between the ebay fees, initial cost of the item and shipping charges).
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

The metal housing will fetch more if I clean it up and repaint it.  The whole thing was a gamble anyway, I'm not worried about it.

Do sound-powered handsets work very well as far as audio quality?
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Yes but then you need to factor in labor and materials!

Sound powered handset are like advanced tin cans on a string.  These were usually a back-up system if power was lost.  Sound quality is not that good, especially over a distance.  And you'll need two of them!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 14, 2015, 08:20:53 PM
Yes but then you need to factor in labor and materials!

And if I factored in all the time spent looking for phones, it would be like the national debt, no way to dig out of it!  It's a hobby, not a business.
- Mike Row
e

compubit

Quote from: Brinybay on April 15, 2015, 01:10:10 AM
And if I factored in all the time spent looking for phones, it would be like the national debt, no way to dig out of it!  It's a hobby, not a business.

What???? I started using my 401(k) to buy phones on eBay so that I could retire early!!!  Are you telling me I'm not going to make a fortune on all of the 1980s black rotary dial phones I paid $75 apiece for?????

Argggghhhhhhhhhh!

;-)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!