News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

G1 on box holding F1 handset Northern Electric wooden phone

Started by axil, September 27, 2015, 06:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

I found this NE phone at a garage sale and was wondering what the box holding the F1 handset does???

It says G1 just under the cradle.

thx dave

TelePlay

Quote from: axil on September 27, 2015, 06:58:57 PM
I found this NE phone at a garage sale and was wondering what the box holding the F1 handset does???

It says G1 just under the cradle.

That looks like a space saver phone without the dial (the white disk on top would be the dial mount area.

Check out this space savers on paul-f's site

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsetMountings.html#C

Scroll down to see a few other images of this type of phone and the G mount version or use this link (thanks Paul).

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsetMountings.html#G

The wood box would be the ringer subset of sorts. Someone put a few different things together to make an answer only phone.

Can you open up the wood box, take pictures and post them?

axil

Looks like you are correct, although it looks like the center of a dial on top. Here's a pic of whats inside:

thx dave

NorthernElectric

The G1 contains the hookswitch and terminals to connect the handset.  As teleplay says, a dial housing can be mounted on the top of one of these.  Functionally, it is like a B1 or D1 base, and like them lacks network components so requires a subscriber set (subset).  Your N500CG is a subset, and not a wooden phone by itself, as it lacks hookswitch, transmitter, and receiver.  This way, the G1 can be used with different subsets for different types of service.
Cliff

axil

TelePlay

Quote from: NorthernElectric on September 27, 2015, 08:53:53 PM
Your N500CG is a subset . . .

Where is the ringing capacitor, behind the magneto? I can't tell from the photo or I'm just missing it.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: TelePlay on September 27, 2015, 09:28:21 PM

Where is the ringing capacitor, behind the magneto? I can't tell from the photo or I'm just missing it.

It looks like it has been modified as the key is missing as well.

Jack

unbeldi

Most magneto telephones are used on a dry line and do not require a capacitor in the ringing bridge.
A common battery signaling set however does.   This was probably converted.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on September 27, 2015, 09:59:43 PM
Most magneto telephones are used on a dry line and do not require a capacitor in the ringing bridge.

Unbeldi, I believe the 500CG should have a capacitor and a key - both are missing.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 27, 2015, 10:02:30 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on September 27, 2015, 09:59:43 PM

Unbeldi, I believe the 500CG should have a capacitor and a key - both are missing.

Jack

Yes, the CG was originally a CBS set.  That's why I said it was probably converted.

IIRC, the capacitor was mounted against the left wall above where the key would have been.

NorthernElectric

I think this subset has been modified, and if present, the capacitor would be mounted at the top left side.  I think it was also originally equipped with a pushbutton switch at the bottom left with the button protruding from the holes where the bundle of wires acting as the mounting cord exit.  Here is a photo of another N500CG posted in this topic.

Cliff

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on September 27, 2015, 10:11:35 PM
Yes, the CG was originally a CBS set.  That's why I said it was probably converted.

CBS? The one I'm thinking of is magneto signalling.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 27, 2015, 10:19:12 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on September 27, 2015, 10:11:35 PM

CBS? The one I'm thinking of is magneto signalling.

Jack

CBS = common battery signaling

I believe these sets were built for several different signaling methods.
*traditional dry-loop magneto signaling
*common battery signaling while using the local battery for talking
*a grounded-ringing towards the CO (selected by the push-button), but line-bridged ringing between stations on the loop.
*simplex signaling?

Notice that the ringer motor is not biased as in a normal B1A ringer.

So,  if installed in a normal, simple magneto system, someone would probably remove the key not to confuse users. The cap isn't needed then either.

axil

There is also 2 wires running through a hole in the bottom of the box connected to the locations pointed out below. Not sure what it means but you guys would know.

unbeldi

Quote from: axil on September 27, 2015, 10:34:04 PM
There is also 2 wires running through a hole in the bottom of the box connected to the locations pointed out below. Not sure what it means but you guys would know.

Those were to connect to the battery that powered the transmitter.