News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not bad for $40

Started by novarlynx, December 05, 2015, 10:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

novarlynx

Made a deal with a Craigslist seller and got these three phones for $40. Not too bad though.

WE 302 -- All parts dated July 1949. Handset cord was mangled and unusable. Missing the number card holder.
WE Trimline wall -- Wrong color cord (new one on the way), 1974 date and not modular.
AT&T Princess -- 1984. To my annoyance there is no dial light. Guess they stopped doing that instead of switching to LED.

Wasn't too bad of a deal however the Princess is now broken, it fell off a table by accident and while the housing is OK, both the line and the handset modular jacks in the phone base have shattered and are unusable. Odd how the plastic was so brittle like that... but now I have to replace them, dangit.

I have since restored the 302 and it looks really shiny now. Replaced the handset cord with a rather flexible computer power cord that I had laying around. It'll work until I can get an original cord for it.

Shined up the plastic on the Trimline as well. Once the new cord arrives it'll be perfect.

As for the princess, it was working perfectly fine until it fell over, and the rest of the phone is in overall decent shape at least.
The digital PSTN is so boring now. I wish I could have experienced what it was like to use the Bell System with all its analog wonders.

Well, at least we have museums. Right?

Greg G.

Not bad at all, especially for the matching dates 302.  Cord and dial ring shouldn't be hard to find.  You might be able to part out the now busted Princess.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Quote from: novarlynx on December 05, 2015, 10:26:20 AM
Made a deal with a Craigslist seller and got these three phones for $40. Not too bad though.

WE 302 -- All parts dated July 1949. Handset cord was mangled and unusable. Missing the number card holder.
WE Trimline wall -- Wrong color cord (new one on the way), 1974 date and not modular.
AT&T Princess -- 1984. To my annoyance there is no dial light. Guess they stopped doing that instead of switching to LED.

Wasn't too bad of a deal however the Princess is now broken, it fell off a table by accident and while the housing is OK, both the line and the handset modular jacks in the phone base have shattered and are unusable. Odd how the plastic was so brittle like that... but now I have to replace them, dangit.

Looks like a good deal on some nice telephones! I have seen the modular jacks for sale on both ePay, and I think OPW, phoneco, etc have them as well. Might want to look around, before giving up on the Princess. You could also hook up spare, non-modular cords to the terminals in the Princess, to make it work for  the time being, if you have / come across any. Just a thought; I so rarely have them that I thought I might share! ;D

Enjoy, and best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus