News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red Signal Corps Toaster Phone

Started by Doug Rose, July 26, 2015, 01:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Steve Hilsz told me these are not AE dials and not to be confused with them. They have two extra terminals....Doug

WIRE A MILITARY DIAL TO A #302
1.      To the movable pulse terminal, connect the yellow/brown switch wire.
2.      To the fixed pulse terminal (it has a strap on it to one of the shunt terminals), connect both the black condenser wire and the black handset cord wire.
3.      To the middle shunt terminal, connect the red/slate wire from "L1" on the induction coil.
4.      4. Do not use the remaining shunt contact.
5.      There are two contact screws by themselves to the left of the regular shunt contact screws. These are the receiver disconnect contacts. Connect the blue switch wire to one of the  disconnect contacts.
6.      Connect the white handset cord wire to the remaining disconnect contact.

WIRE AN AUTOMATIC ELECTRIC DIAL TO A #302

1.      Connect the yellow/brown switch wire to the moveable pulse contact.
2.      Connect both the black condenser wire and the black handset cord wire to the fixed pulse contact (it has a strap on it).
3.      Connect the red/slate wire from "L1" on the induction coil to the middle shunt contact.
4.      Connect both the blue switch wire and the white handset cord wire to the remaining shunt contact.
5.      IMPORTANT: Move the rd/slate wire from "L1" on the induction coil to "R" on the induction coil.
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 27, 2015, 07:44:42 PM
Steve Hilsz told me these are not AE dials and not to be confused with them. They have two extra terminals....Doug

Of course, Steve is correct, they are not AE dials. They are made to a Signal Corps specification based on an AE dial by companies such as Nansai (TA-45C/GT) and Telephonics (TA-45/GT).
AE dials were available with several spring combinations so the number of connections does not make an AE looking dial a Signal Corps dial. Most AE dials were supplied with spring assembly AK-25 – this assembly was used by the majority of AE telephones as well as others. Spring assembly AK-29 was also available which was compatible with the WE 2H/4H/5H dials. The Signal Corps dials use a spring set that combines both the AK-25 and the AK-29 so that the dial was a drop in replacement for telephones using AE circuits or WE circuits.

Jack

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 27, 2015, 07:44:42 PM
Steve Hilsz told me these are not AE dials and not to be confused with them. They have two extra terminals....

Here is a side by side showing no "AE" square on the military dial and showing the two extra terminals to the left of the AE standard terminals. Other differences are also clearly noticeable. They look similar but on close inspection, they are different.

andre_janew

They sure do look different from the back.  What about from the front?  Are there any differences?

poplar1

Here is one of the Signal Corps dials currently listed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201393720375

Made by Telephonics Corporation
TA-45/GT
MFP 4-53
PAT. NO. 2,613,552
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Quote from: andre_janew on July 27, 2015, 12:43:48 PM
Even so, I've noticed that a lot of military phones tend to have AE dials.  The WE 500 may be an exception to this, however.

Frequently comments are made, based solely on a photo showing only a front-shot, that the dial was manufactured by Automatic Electric. The commenter often fails to recognize that a number of other manufacturers cloned their own versions of AECo dials and often the front is difficult to distinguish from those manufactured by A.E.

With the exception of the Signal Corps version of the WECo 500, Automatic Electric or clones manufactured by Telephonics, etc., along with the unique Federal Telephone and Radio (FTR) dials were specified for these sets.

This is spelled-out in the Signal Corps manuals located in the TCI Library.

Jack Ryan

Here is an AE dial in a Signal Corps Kellogg 925. Note the dial has seven terminals.

Jack

Doug Rose

I have decided to sell this great phone....just no room. Today at 12 Noon EST....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301700000385
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I'm a little surprised, I didn't think that metal would hold up to a dent. I figured it would crack first.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 02, 2015, 06:15:14 AM
I have decided to sell this great phone....just no room. Today at 12 Noon EST....Doug

Doug,

I can't get this link to load. Is it me or eBay?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on August 02, 2015, 05:08:28 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on August 02, 2015, 06:15:14 AM

Doug,

I can't get this link to load. Is it me or eBay?
Not working for me either. It might be coincidence, but those zeros seem odd to me.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on August 02, 2015, 05:49:11 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301700000385?

works with question mark at end but not without

It has worked for me as originally posted. 

HarrySmith

[/quote]

It has worked for me as originally posted. 
[/quote]

Me too!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"