News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric # 4 # 5 # 6 Dial Overhul Help

Started by Telstar, October 25, 2016, 07:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telstar

For some reason, there is no step by step instructions for the complete disassembly and reassembly of any Western Electric dials here on  the forum.  I know there are some members who are can disassemble and reassemble these dials, but a step by step instruction procedure would be greatly appreciated for those who may want to try.

A few years back, a Pascal link from a member had photos of the take down and reassembly of a # 5 dial.  Unfortunately, that link is no longer working.

Kenton K

Huh, no guides.

Well, if your mechanically inclined, taking apart/ reassembling dials is pretty straightforwards, as long as you take pictures. Most of the screws are easily matched with their original spot when you forget which ones went where.

I actually stopped completely disassembling dials if I can. Its not worth it and it breaks the early 'paint seals' found on #2-#5 dials screws. 95% percent of the time I can get a dial working great if I spray the dial with solvent like naphtha/kerosene to get rid of the gunky oil. Usually this is a problem on the governor, bearings, and 'one way spring/rachet'. Once dry, I lightly oil the bearings/'one way governor thing'. Almost always gets it working great.

I have taken dials apart when the spring is broken or if I wanted to repaint it.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

unbeldi

Quote from: Telstar on October 25, 2016, 07:56:46 PM
For some reason, there is no step by step instructions for the complete disassembly and reassembly of any Western Electric dials here on  the forum.  I know there are some members who are can disassemble and reassemble these dials, but a step by step instruction procedure would be greatly appreciated for those who may want to try.

A few years back, a Pascal link from a member had photos of the take down and reassembly of a # 5 dial.  Unfortunately, that link is no longer working.

There was a reassembly discussion with pictures, IIRC.
Disassembly is pretty straight forward.  And if you carefully observe and take notes where the parts belong, reassembly is not difficult either.  The only tricky part, by my experience, is the adjustment of the pressure on the pawl arm that returns it for each pulse.

Fresh out of the ultrasonic cleaner:

Pourme

I have often wondered...can you put a dial in a ultrasonic cleaner without disassembling it, then lube it?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on October 25, 2016, 08:20:44 PM
I have often wondered...can you put a dial in a ultrasonic cleaner without disassembling it, then lube it?

Yes, I have done that many times and it works quite well. I only disassemble when needed, e.g. when the spindle is frozen like in that dial pictured.  I remove the largest parts to avoid shielding the sound waves too much.

Pourme

Thanks, how long would you leave it in? I have only recently bought my cleaner and haven't used it a lot.
Benny

TelePlay

I take off the finger stop, the finger wheel and the number plate. Then cover any markings with lanolin, vaseline works but does not hold up as well in warm water.

Then into the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes at about 100 degrees. I found lifting it out and rotating the mechanism twice and keeping it from going back to stop helps clean all mating gear surfaces. I do that twice in 20 minutes.

I then time with water, blew most of it off with compressed air, time it with distilled water and blogs it dry with compressed air. Let it sit for four a day in a warm place and then oil it.

Pourme

Thanks John, I have the perfect candidate to try it on!....
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on October 25, 2016, 08:43:51 PM
I then time with water, blew most of it off with compressed air, time it with distilled water and blogs it dry with compressed air. Let it sit for four a day in a warm place and then oil it.

Spell check errors.

I then RINSE with water, BLOW most of it off with compressed air, RINSE it with distilled water and BLOW it dry with compressed air. Let it sit FOR a day in a warm place and then oil it, operating the dial when oiling to insure penetration.

I then check the PPS using Audacity and if each break/make is not uniform, I clean it again. Usually one clean works.

Search the forum for Audacity and you will get several hits on how to do that.

Pourme

Ha!...I speak Siri, I'm fluent in pre spellcheck.

Searching forum now!
Quote from: TelePlay on October 25, 2016, 09:50:35 PM
Spell check errors.

I then RINSE with water, BLOW most of it off with compressed air, RINSE it with distilled water and BLOW it dry with compressed air. Let it sit FOR a day in a warm place and then oil it, operating the dial when oiling to insure penetration.

I then check the PPS using Audacity and if each break/make is not uniform, I clean it again. Usually one clean works.

Search the forum for Audacity and you will get several hits on how to do that.
Benny

dsk

Quote from: unbeldi on October 25, 2016, 08:13:24 PM
There was a reassembly discussion with pictures, IIRC.
Disassembly is pretty straight forward.  And if you carefully observe and take notes where the parts belong, reassembly is not difficult either.  The only tricky part, by my experience, is the adjustment of the pressure on the pawl arm that returns it for each pulse.

Fresh out of the ultrasonic cleaner:

That description makes it feel so simple, and yes have done it.  2 things, the springs may be tricky to get back in position with the right tension, as someone mentioned pictures and other documentation during dismantling may help, and of course the "fingerspitzengefühl" (a German expression I find difficult to translate)

(On the picture it a ring, missing on dials, but they work well without :-)   )

dsk

TelePlay

dsk,

I had to do a search for that word and came up with this from a German site.

http://blogs.transparent.com/german/untranslatable-german-words-das-fingerspitzengefuhl/

What does das Fingerspitzengefühl mean?

To have Fingerspitzengefühl means to have an intuitive instinct about any given situation, and to know how to react to it without having to deliberate. It also suggests a certain tact or sensitivity that comes with experience.

I get it, an interesting word I have to remember, and use.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Telstar

Thanks to all members for their help and recommendations on this subject. 

Thanks JorgeAmely for the link to the photos posts!  Those were the photos I saw years back.

TelePlay

Quote from: Telstar on October 25, 2016, 07:56:46 PM

While these two topics I found today while looking for something else do not directly answer your question, they are filled with tips and tricks for working on problem dials. Both are great reading to build your background knowledge of what others have done, without full disassembly in most cases.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15765.0

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0