News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Candlestick Phone

Started by wds, February 19, 2010, 08:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Just wanted to share a new acquisition with everyone.  I've had this Kellogg Subset Ringer, F-257BA for a while, and recently was able to match it up with the F-118 candlestick phone.  The F-257BA is the correct box for that phone, both dated 1920's.  The box is completely original, with a gunstock gray finish that matches the gray on the phone.  Not to mention the brass bells and the brass on the phone.  The ringer works also!  As soon as I can find the best spot in the house to locate the phone, I'll mount the ringer on the wall.  Anyone else have one like this?
Dave

Jim Stettler

Quote from: wds2185 on February 19, 2010, 08:21:27 PM
Just wanted to share a new acquisition with everyone.  I've had this Kellogg Subset Ringer, F257BA for a while, and recently was able to match it up with the F118 candlestick phone.  The F257BA is the correct box for that phone, both dated 1920's.  The box is completely original, with a gunstock grey finish that matches the grey on the phone.  Not to mention the brass bells and the brass on the phone.  The ringer works also!  As soon as I can find the best spot in the house to locate the phone, I'll mount the ringer on the wall.  Anyone else have one like this?

The finish is a  (I'm not kidding) a "Bower-Barff" finish. There are written referances to Bower-Barff. And I think there is an article in one of the newsletters.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bower-Barff_process

It is a very nice looking finish,  I have a WE intercom stick with a "Bower-Barff" finish.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

I do not have any candlestick phones yet, but that sure is one beautiful set you have, Congrats on the great find!

wds

Thanks for info on the finish.  I've looked through several of the Kellogg catalogs and couldn't find any reference to the finishes.  Both of these are EBay finds - I picked up the subset/ringer for only $28! 
Dave

Phonesrfun

I have a similar subset, a WE 334 metal sidetone subset with external ringer gongs.  I have it hooked to a WE 40AL  candlestick (also a Bower-Barff) finish.

-Bill Geurts

-Bill G

wds

Can you post a picture of the WE set?
Dave

Phonesrfun

It might be a day or two before a picture,  It's in a box.  But  I will give it a look.

-Bill
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on February 19, 2010, 08:44:22 PM
Just wanted to share a new acquisition with everyone.  I've had this Kellogg Subset Ringer, F257BA for a while, and recently was able to match it up with the F118 candlestick phone.  The F257BA is the correct box for that phone, both dated 1920's.  The box is completely original, with a gunstock grey finish that matches the grey on the phone.  Not to mention the brass bells and the brass on the phone.  The ringer works also!  As soon as I can find the best spot in the house to locate the phone, I'll mount the ringer on the wall.  Anyone else have one like this?

The finish is a  (I'm not kidding) a "Bower-Barff" finish. There are written referances to Bower-Barff. And I think there is an article in one of the newsletters.

It is a very nice looking finish,  I have a WE intercom stick with a "Bower-Barff" finish.

Jim

Here is a link  with a Bower-Barff Finish.
3rd row down, 3rd pic over.

http://members.cox.net/mdegeer/Western_electric.html

Jim
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

The finish is a  (I'm not kidding) a "Bower-Barff" finish. There are written referances to Bower-Barff. And I think there is an article in one of the newsletters.

It is a very nice looking finish,  I have a WE intercom stick with a "Bower-Barff" finish.

Jim

I thought that name sounded familiar.  It's similar to the auto dealer where I've bought my last two vehicles from, Bowen-Scarff Ford. http://www.bowenscarff.com/

As far as the phone goes, that is a real purty looking subset, I like that "polished bare metal" look.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Jim
Jim...was the "Bower-Barff" finish like the copper that WE put on their early stuff. Reason I am asking is many years ago I came across about twenty of these Kellogg ringers in various conditions. When I stripped them of paint, they looked exactly like the one pictured right down to the brass gongs. So with the "Bower-Barff" it adhered to the metal and formed a permanent bond? ....Doug

Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone and subset, Dave.  They look especially nice in the photo scene you have there.  Great find on that subset. 

Jim that link to the phones......is that a member's page from one of the clubs?  There sure are some beautiful phones there. 

Briny, did you see the 553A with the #4 dial on that page?  I'm going to be on the hunt for one of those.  I've wanted one for a long time just never found the occasion to get my hands on one.

Thanks for posting your phone, Dave.  Beautiful!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on February 20, 2010, 08:15:17 AM

Jim
Jim...was the "Bower-Barff" finish like the copper that WE put on their early stuff. Reason I am asking is many years ago I came across about twenty of these Kellogg ringers in various conditions. When I stripped them of paint, they looked exactly like the one pictured right down to the brass gongs. So with the "Bower-Barff" it adhered to the metal and formed a permanent bond? ....Doug

Sorry for the late reply,

Doug,
I beleive the finish is a permanent one. I suspect some were painted over, but I think they strip down nicely to the bower-barff finish. I have never seen a "worn" bower_Barff finish.
Jim

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 20, 2010, 10:59:29 AM
Beautiful phone and subset, Dave.  They look especially nice in the photo scene you have there.  Great find on that subset. 

Jim that link to the phones......is that a member's page from one of the clubs?  There sure are some beautiful phones there. 

Briny, did you see the 553A with the #4 dial on that page?  I'm going to be on the hunt for one of those.  I've wanted one for a long time just never found the occasion to get my hands on one.

Hi Dennis,
Sorry for the late reply.
The website was the first phone site with a bower-barff referance.
The site belongs to an ATCA and TCI member Mike DeGreer. He used to  be active on the listservers.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on February 28, 2010, 09:05:02 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 20, 2010, 10:59:29 AM

Hi Dennis,
Sorry for the late reply.
The website was the first phone site with a bower-barff referance.
The site belongs to an ATCA and TCI member Mike DeGreer. He used to  be active on the listservers.
Jim
The homepage is:
http://members.cox.net/mdegeer/

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Jim for the link.  I'll check out the site.

~Dennis