"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Telephone Door Bell

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 29, 2014, 06:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: benkeys on December 07, 2014, 08:21:13 AM
...I am now curious if I can make some of my phones sound like the "UK" ring they demonstrate in the video?

I think I asked about that one time several years ago, and if I remember correctly, the answer was next to impossible because the ring sequence is determined by the phone company.  However, when I dial a phone as an extension on my PBX, it gets the 2-shorts ring by default.  Also, our modern cordless phone has an option for the 2-shorts which I set it to, but it doesn't impact the vintage phones on the same line, only the cordless. 

Now, instead of the doorbell gadget, I would like to see a plug-and-play device that would let you select the ring type on your landline.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

benkeys

Darn. That would be so neat, and different. I figured there would be a simple modification or a device you could build to attach to the phone you want to do that. It would have to be something that interrupts the voltage momentarily to cut off the ring halfway through each ring. I imagine it could be done, but may not be easy. 
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Owain

On the reverse principle, I have acquired a telephone ringer that plays a selection of American tunes when the phone rings (Yellow Rose of Texas, Yankee Doodle etc). It runs off 2 x PP3 batteries.

It has a 'test' button and I'm considering wiring it up to the front door door-bell. It's astonishingly loud when fed through a 30 watt horn speaker.