"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 2 line Brown and Gold

Started by tubaman, March 05, 2018, 01:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

James,
           Yes it came with a black rubber gasket . You can e-mail Mr. Gary Golf and tell him what you have and see if he has one to fit your phone and if he will ship to you.  Rubber gasket is reasonably priced but look out on your shipping. Enjoy your phone , LUCKY  8)       gdgoff@gmail.com
           AE  was very lacking in date stamps .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Stub/Terry.....Is this a Bakelite or metal base? Is the cradle metal? I would strip off what is left of the Gold Matee and just polish the  BROWN Bakelite. If the cradle is metal shine it up, hopefully Bakelite and you have  very nice displayable Phone. Getting the gold back on would be much more expensive than the phone itself.

Even on one leg, that would have been on my workbench the next day ....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
         Bakelite on both phone and switch base and metal cradle. You better take it easy in that shop ! 8)   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Gary Z

Would going to a chrome cradle and accents be an option? That may be an easier fix.
I have one that has the chrome but a little different switch set up.

stub

Roody,
           8) SWEET 8) You have been holding out on us!! Terry don't look !! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Quote from: stub on March 06, 2018, 04:28:46 PM
Doug,
         Bakelite on both phone and switch base and metal cradle. You better take it easy in that shop ! 8)   stub
thanks Stub.....being a good patient. So with it all being Bakelite, this could be stellar Phone in an afternoon's work....or less.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Roody on March 06, 2018, 05:02:21 PM
Would going to a chrome cradle and accents be an option? That may be an easier fix.

Quote from: stub on March 06, 2018, 05:06:41 PM
Roody,
           8) SWEET 8) You have been holding out on us!! Terry don't look !! stub

Gary Zap has been a well known member of the Clubs for many years. Beautiful set.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 06, 2018, 05:51:18 PM
Gary Zap has been a well known member of the Clubs for many years. Beautiful set.....Doug

Not to mention some of the finds he comes up with and shares with us here!

Quote from: Roody on March 06, 2018, 05:02:21 PM

I think so. I know of a mahogany 1A that I hope to add to my collection one day but I've been working at it for years now. It is mahogany with gold trim. It originally seems likey to have had a matching mahogany cradle that was broken and replaced with a chromed metal cradle for some reason. Maybe a chrome one was on hand to get it working again...or wrong finish was ordered from AE?

I have speculated what to do if I am able to acquire it and my thought was to convert the bands and fingerwheel to chrome to match the cradle and then I can use the gold matte bands and fingerwheel on a 34 or 35 set even if it is just a black Bakelite Phone.

Terry

tubaman

Terry - I know someone who could make good use of a gold fingerwheel ::)

Stub - Thanks - I'll email Gary and see how I get on.

As for the gold on my phone, I'm going to do some more gentle polishing as I really like the Brown/Gold look.
My phones only tend to get very lightly 'restored' (clean, light polish, cords if needed, dial lube etc).
I actually don't really mind if they look their age a bit (not too much though!).
:)

AE_Collector

To the best of my knowledge Gary has two sizes of gasket rings made. The small one fits round base AE's such as the type 21 candlestick and 1A Cradlephone. The larger size fits both AE 34 and 40. I don't have any AE's with this extension base so I can't check to see if the larger size gasket would fit. Gary must know if it does or not.

The majority of the AE Dial fingerwheels are brass under the black paint. If you choose to just clean the metal work as much as possible without repeating anything I would look at stripping the fingerwheel to brass and matching it to the phone as much as possible. It was a workhorse Phone in an office somewhere and I like its war torn look! A big bonus having that excellent looking cloth covered cord on the base.

Does the plate around the three buttons appear to be removable? It almost looks like gold finish applied to the Bakelite.

Terry

tubaman

Terry,

I'll get in touch with Gary and see what he has. If he has a gasket that's a bit long I'm sure it could easily be shortened.

The 11 way cord is in amazing shape with only a couple of rust marks on it - probably from contact with the base which has clearly been somewhere damp at some point.
It's got all of the spade ends intact and the tie cord too.

I'll investigate the switch-plate further. I've just tapped it with my finger nail and it sounds like metal.
:)

AE_Collector

Gary has the gaskets made locally so could probably get a length of the material or have one custom made if it is a different size. I'm going to place money on a large ring for the AE40 being a perfect fit.

Terry

stub

James,
          The plate is removable . I can't remember if you can get it out by gently prying up one tab or both. Here's the 1st one I could reach to show a pic .  I think I got a gasket from Gary a few years ago to fit this phone. The length of the gasket, installed , is 21 1/2 " . Be sure to tell Gary it is a AE -31-b Two-line Monophone .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Thanks for the pictures Stub!

Terry

tubaman