News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Favorite Era?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 08, 2018, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Okay...here's the "Time Machine" someone ordered....sign here please!

I'm surprised it let me attach a 9 meg PDF file but...it did!

Click the link just above the attached (text) picture below.

Terry

Dan/Panther

Terry;

That slide show brought me close to tears.
In 1957 I was 8 years old and we were traveling to California from New York. My Dad's brother was in the Border Patrol at The Brownsville Station, Texas,  we had traveled there to visit coming west.
In 1959, on Veteran's day, He drowned in the Gulf Of Mexico while Fishing. I inherited his birthstone ring after my Dad passed in 1989, I wear the ring EVERY day.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Great story Dan. Would have been sad to lose your uncle when you were only 10. Old enough to know him and then he was gone. I remember all of my aunts and uncles fondly.

My wife and I did a BIG road trip in 1984. Vancouver to San Francisco, across the northern states to an ATCA phone show in Illinois, up into Ontario at Niagra Falls, through to Quebec, down into Maine and all the way down the coast to Florida. We were heading to Key West but were getting behind schedule and unfortunately decided to turn around at Key Largo. Then Around the gulf visiting friends in New Orleans, continued around to Brownsville Texas then all the way along the south to San Diego. Then up the coast to Vancouver. 15,500 miles worth in 10 weeks. First time I ever killed off a new car warranty by exceeding the 12000 miles instead if the 12 months.

Terry

jsowers

The slide show reminded me of many the cars I said I wanted to see if I took a visit back to the 1950s and 60s. That first picture has a 1951 Plymouth Cranbrook 2-door sedan exactly like my dad's. I rode home from kindergarten in 1963-64 many times in that old Plymouth. I still remember the smell of dad's Marlboro cigarettes and listening to the radio in that car. It still worked after all those years.

I had two uncles, my grandfather and my dad, all of whom owned 1951 Plymouths. They were very dependable cars. Not much on styling, but rock solid on engineering. My dad always always talked about the standard electric wipers, which were a first in the low-priced field. Other cars had vacuum wipers for years afterward, some until the mid-1960s. They were terrible.

I also was reminded of my aunt's 1957 Ford and my uncle's 1956 Oldsmobile and another aunt and uncle's 1955 Ford station wagon. We have home movies from the 1950s of Thanksgiving at my grandmother's and my dad captured a lot of the cars in the driveway as relatives arrived, and that footage is priceless.

The slide show also reminds me of when downtown was where everyone shopped. That's where you went to find everything. We even went to other cities at Christmas to see their decorations and shop in their big stores. None of that is there now. We still have a downtown, but with small merchants for the most part.

Terry, thanks for posting the slide show.
Jonathan