"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a real two tone?

Started by Kenton K, February 27, 2015, 08:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

Hi,

I just bought this and am wondering if you experts think its a real two tone and not a cobbled together one. I'm crossing my fingers. I don't seem to see many original two tones on sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231492038255

Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Yes... :'(

Great find again, Ken! The plastic of the shell on the bottom of the phone seems thick enough to be from '54, and the black parts all seem authentically original.

If it isn't all-original, I'll take it! :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

It sure looks like the real thing to me. It's an early one too and with a straight handset cord. I hope you find an original card behind the newer one. The price was very good too. Congratulations! When it arrives, let us know what it turned out to be.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

The later (Early) 2-tone sets were field assembled from a black phone and colored housing. The black housing was to be returned to stock.

This is from a handbook-size BSP. I posted the BSP a few years ago in this thread.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1886.msg26924#msg26924

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Nice find, Ken. Out of curiosity, what search words do you use?

Ben

Kenton K

Honestly Ben, my searches change all the tine. I think I just searched ' vintage telephone ' for this one. What do you use in the search field?

Ken

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Kenton K on February 28, 2015, 11:07:41 AM
Honestly Ben, my searches change all the tine. I think I just searched ' vintage telephone ' for this one. What do you use in the search field?

Ken

That's me too. I try to use various strategies: like looking in the BIN section, looking in the 'related' column, or just randomly skipping through the pages.

Ben

Kenton K

Well, good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the seller left the handset on the cradle during shipping. Even with my packing directions and lots of bubble wrap, there is now a hole smashed near the cradle.

The good news is that the phone has 53-54 dates. The base and handsets are 1954, and the ivory case is 1953. Seems pretty early for a color set. I wonder when did full color sets come out?

Also, the cord is a new cord, from the 60s! I didn't know they made straight cords in the 60s.

I'll have to contact the seller.

Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Ouch! I'm so sorry, Ken! More nighmares between irresposible sellers and careless ol' USPS! :'( Hopefully, you can both repair the damage and get at least a partial refund from the seller!

Full color sets came around in 1954, to certain colors only. Mahogany brown never came with gray cords or black plastic parts that I'm aware of (with the exception of an artist's misinterpretation in a Bell Ohio Tel magazine, IIRC) and was introduced in 1954.

Ivory also started with full color around late 1954 and early 1955, so did most other colors. But in 1953, no phones came in absolute full-color; they were either two tone, black dial,  or were offered in both. Yours is definitely the real McCoy!

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

That is very unfortunate, Ken.

I was checking out their feedback rating and it appears as if your not the first to have the misfortune of an item being damaged in shipping.

Ben