Main Menu

"Pristine, new in box" 500

Started by HarrySmith, February 16, 2015, 09:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I could not help myself, I had to post this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171685296903
Sellers description:
" Up for bid is a vintage (1962) Western Bell Rotary Telephone.  This has never been used.  In fact, I just took it out of the box for the first time to take these pics.  It comes with the original instructions and box.  PLEASE look at all the pics.  No dust internally. Pristine condition."
WTH???Is this guy blind or just stupid!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 16, 2015, 09:05:14 PM
Sellers description:
" Up for bid is a vintage (1962) Western Bell Rotary Telephone.  This has never been used.  In fact, I just took it out of the box for the first time to take these pics.  It comes with the original instructions and box.  PLEASE look at all the pics.  No dust internally. Pristine condition."

Hmm, I wouldn't be so quick to judge.  plastic surface looks very nice, but the set was improperly stored, probably in moist environment, causing the corrosion on the feet.  The finger wheel looks pristine, no scratches.  The cords look good too.

Poor pictures for sure. That can be deceiving.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 16, 2015, 09:05:14 PM
Sellers description:
It actually looks like a phone fresh from refurbishment. The cord is kink-free, the fingerwheel has perfect paint on it, and the ('70s) housing looks brand new!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Typical remanufactured phone: new housing, new cords, new finger wheel. Round feet are 1963 or later. The box says "Phone Co. Property" in green ink; that's only for remanufactured/refurbished phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

I remember seeing a empty box that a phone came in up for sale on eBay for $25.  The way I see it, if you get that box with the phone, there's $25 right there!

Partyline4

I wonder if people buy the boxes hoping to put them with a good looking phone to make more money?

I agree with the refurb.

I wonder if sellers refurb phones and then sell them stating they were factory refurb?

Hmmm....

andre_janew

These days, I suppose anything is possible!