News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Matra/Nortel Electronic PABX Exchange. Advice Needed.

Started by dsk, May 03, 2011, 09:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I have a small chance of getting a telephone-system for the job of removing it, and cleaning up the room.
It contains of 3 cabinets marked Nortel NDK 19BA, 92BA and ADS300.

I haven't a clue about how to configure, or how to set it up again, but it is in working order.

What more do I need? What job does the different cabinets? Where may I get manuals needed?

Hints needed.

dsk

GG

First, see if there are any phones still plugged into it and check to be sure they're working.   At minimum there should be something on their screens, typically date & time and/or extension number & name.  Pick up the receiver and see if you get intercom dial tone (if not, try pressing any button labeled Intercom or similar). 

Second, power-down and leave the power off for five minutes, before de-installing.

Third, label every connector and cable so it can all be reassembled later.

You may be able to obtain documentation online for this.  I'm not familiar with this model, but there's a significant chance that it only works with NorTel proprietary phones and can't be used with analog phones.  Thus your best bet may be to harvest it out, clean it up physically, sell it on Ebay, and buy a system that is known to work with analog phones (e.g. Panasonic or an old Mitel SX-20 or something). 

Eman

best i can find is that the ads300 part is a module inside the larger cabinet there, maybe more markings that we cant see in the pictures?

dsk

I shall try to figure out more, the units are partly in use today, with regular phones. A dip switch can change between ringer frequency 20, 25 and 50 Hz. Pulse phones does not work at the setup are today.  (the upper cabinet are not connected to the mains.)

It is important to show a descent interest, but not as much as I have to pay a lot for it.
I hope I may get it for just doing the job of removing it without ruining the room.

For me this looks quite modern, with semiconductors etc.... ;D.   I fell off when they started with these complicated dials, and couldn't just ask the operator.  ;)

dsk

dsk

Here are some more pictures:
dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: d_s_k on May 04, 2011, 04:43:20 AM
I shall try to figure out more, the units are partly in use today, with regular phones. A dip switch can change between ringer frequency 20, 25 and 50 Hz. Pulse phones does not work at the setup are today.  (the upper cabinet are not connected to the mains.)

From a bit of Googlng, it would appear to be a European made MATRA/NORTEL MC 6501 L call Pilot system. Now, there are a number of links on Google claiming to have the manuals for it - I haven't checked any of them to see if they actually have the manuals available, or whether they are "generic" manual sites claiming to have manuals, but without actually having them.

A brochure on these may be seen at:
http://www.telenova.bg/photos/pdf/6d85cc98.pdf

If that is the case, the ADS300 would be a AC/DC EMERGENCY-SUPPLIED. POWER SUPPLY 25/50HZ 240V FOR 6501 L

The 19BA would be a CallPilot mailbox

If it is one of these, should you get it, this would help you:
http://www.corrupteddatarecovery.com/Default-Password/Default-Password-Nortel-Matra-6501-PBX-.asp

I do stand to be corrected.

Know anything about these, Terry?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I have worked on quite a bit of different NT equipment and while some aspects of this look "very" Nortel, others not so much! The cards in the last pictures have the look of Nortel M1 cards and/or what we call "MerMail" which is Meridian (M1) Mail. The left card with dip swithces is to set the modem speed to match a computer to program and communicate with it. The card beside the MISC card has PRI on it so that is a digital trunking card. PRI = T1 so it can supply 23 voice channels plus a control channel if in North America. In Europe I think PRI supplies up to 30 channels and two control channels. In that case one would assume that cabinet is a PBX of some sort. It looks similar to the size of a M1 remote cabinet tha tcan remote stations on a M1 PBX to another building but it needs the connection with the main M1 PBX in order to do anything. I'm not saying that's what it is, just that the cards look "M1" and that it looks somewhat similar t oa set up I've seen here in North America.

I've never seen anything Nortel that had all the little 4 conductor plugs onto cards though. Reminds me of some Siemens systems that I've seen. Must be European.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on May 06, 2011, 07:32:26 PM

I've never seen anything Nortel that had all the little 4 conductor plugs onto cards though. Reminds me of some Siemens systems that I've seen. Must be European.

Terry

According to what I found this morning, it was produced by Mata/Nortel of France. Unfortunately Matra died along with Nortel, so it seems very hard to find anything on the net now.

I did find the following PDF sales brochure:
http://www.telenova.bg/photos/pdf/6d85cc98.pdf

From the brochure:
"These platforms are fully modular from 4 to 236 extensions. The MC 6501-L can operate in autonomous mode or using an external battery. The MC 6501-L enables you to connect analog terminals, multi-function digital terminals or cordless terminals and of course, all three together.

MC 6501-L, associated with the MC 7500 software enables your departments to use all the features provided by the most comprehensive system on the market (ACD - Automatic Call Distribution, Computer Aided Telephony, cordless mobility, multi-site management, etc.)

Associating Telecom with information technology, this PBX includes an IP router for Internet access"

For more, see the PDF brochure above.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001