News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory Galion

Started by wds, February 07, 2018, 03:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up what used to be a nice Ivory Galion.  Bad packaging and now it's broken.  The handset rattled around in the box and broke the mouthpiece and the fingerwheel.  I'm still checking to see if the shell was also broken.  The fingerwheel was a clean break and can be reglued.  Handset cap can't be repaired. 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Those North finger wheels are extremely fragile.  Super glue (cyanoacrylate) works very well on them.

Larry

HarrySmith

WOW! Another great phone destroyed by pad packing. What a shame.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I was looking forward to cleaning it up and putting it on display.  Now I'm stuck with either filing an insurance claim or sending it back to the Seller.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave.....I watched that auction.  What a shame. Bottom line if the finger wheel can be re glued, it will still display great.  I can only imagine your anger with this seller. I would still file a claim and give you a chance to decide.
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, very sad!!! :'(

I just hate sellers who couldn't give one cr@p about the items they sell...after the sale is completed, of course.

I take it that you paid quite a bit for it, guessing from the insurance claim part?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

a layer of bubble wrap on the bottom of the box, the phone then a layer of bubble wrap over the phone (no tape), the handset and 3 pieces of wadded up paper.  The phone might have survived if he had left the handset in the cradle and then taped it to the phone.
Dave

poplar1

Isn't the seller from Galion, Ohio, where the phone was manufactured? Also sold a burgundy North with clear finger wheel.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

I'd go for getting all of your money back and then also get to keep the phone, nothing less.

If you send it back, he can't resell it. I say "free phone."

wds

Yes he is from Galion.  I thought about driving up and getting the phone, but the postage was cheaper than what it would have cost me in gas.  Next time I will drive.
Dave

Wayback Mike

That is really heartbreaking.  Coincidentally, I'm working on fixing up a similar phone so here's a couple thoughts on how to make it a little better:

Your phone should display nicely even with the damaged mouthpiece.  If you have the pieces, you might try affixing some gauze to the backside with lacquer or fingernail polish and then gluing the pieces to the gauze to restore the mouthpiece as much as you can.

If you can't fix the finger wheel to your satisfaction you could do what I'm doing.  Mine came with an AE chrome fingerwheel dial that I think clashes with the brass handset bands.  I'm replacing it with a brass fingerwheel dial that I got from Old Phone Shop.  they currently have some available on ebay.

It won't be mint and it won't be quite the same but it would still be an eye popping phone.

TelePlay

To give you some hope, this mottled brown broken fingerwheel was repaired, not quickly or easily, but very nicely done after a lot of trial and error resin casting.

Yours being single color and you have the piece makes it "easier" that what Bob did.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14268.0

wds

The Seller stated that there was no insurance on the phone, but he sent it priority mail, so I applied for and received a $50 refund.  Seller says he used to work on North Electric phones - if so you would think he would know how to properly pack a phone.  i'm keeping the phone - just need to decide what kind of feedback to leave the guy.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....you get the phone and got a $50 refund. I would fix/glue the finger wheel and display the phone. I would not leave feedback if it was me.  Even with the cap broken, this will display great. Repurpose the line cord as a handset cord.  Are you going to try the 50/50 bleach water on it? You did get a deal on this beauty..Doug
Kidphone

wds

thanks, your right about the feedback.  I'll scold him by email about the bad packing and drop it.  Yes I will try to clean the phone up and lighten the ivory a little bit.  For the time being I'll fix the fingerwheel and see what I can do with the mouthpiece.  It is a beauty.
Dave