News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Difficulty installing a dial on a Galion 5H6 phone

Started by MesaMike, December 28, 2016, 11:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Temporarily disconnect the shunting contacts (red and white). This will allow you to hear the dial pulses so you may want to keep a safe distance between the receiver and your ear.

Now, when you are winding up the dial (clockwise), does the dial tone stay on? Do you hear the pulses (loud clicks) when the dial returns to normal?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MesaMike

I disconnected the red and white wires.  When I wind up the  dial the dial tone goes away.  When I release it I can hear the clicks. More clicks the further I have wound the dial.  When it comes back to its rest position the dial tone comes back. It sort of sounds like the click you get when you hang up just before the dial tone returns though.

poplar1

When you wind up the dial, and hold the finger wheel so that it won't return, then you should still have dial tone. Since you don't, the dial is effectively hanging up the phone before the pulses start.

The pulsing springs must remain touching while the dial is at rest, while you are winding it up, and until they open up (7 times for a dialed 7 digit, for example) as the dial winds down.

Perhaps it is as Larry stated, that the cam is not in the right position, if your contact springs are open at any time before the dial starts pulsing on the wind down.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

You should still hear dial tone when winding the dial when the red and white wires are disconnected.  It could be that the phenolic piece (cam) is too close to the long pulsing contact spring and pushing it away from the other contact when the dial is turned.  Try rotating the cam a bit clockwise by first loosening the tiny nut which holds is down and lifting it slightly.

Larry

MesaMike

Just put my ohmmeter on the phone.  When I turn the dial, the pulse contacts move inwards, but they are held slightly apart by the cam. The longer contact arm rest right on the corner of the cam, which is holding them slightly apart, so they are not in contact.  I will try moving the cam slightly.

MesaMike

OK, before I monkey with the CAM, lets make sure I am doing the correct thing.  The attached picture shows the position of the contact on the cam when the dial is turned.  Should I rotate the cam so the contact comes to rest where the red arrow is pointing? This would cause the longer contact to touch the shorter one.

LarryInMichigan

Rotate the cam so that it is more or less parallel to the contact springs when it is at rest position.  The exact orientation is not important as long as the long ends and corners are nowhere near the pulsing contact when at rest.  The cam should only touch the pulsing contact when the dial returns.

Larry

MesaMike

OK, I have rotated the cam.  I still have an issue though.  The two pulse contacts never quite touch when the dial is turned. The longer one is not impeded by the cam, but it just doesn't move over enough to quite touch the shorter contact.

LarryInMichigan

You can gently bend the thick metal part to the left of the shorter contact spring slightly to the right.  The position of that piece determines how far left the shorter spring can move.

Larry

MesaMike

Cool thanks for all the help.  Just made a phone call :-)

One small issue.  When dialing, not on every digit, but on a couple of them, the bells made a slight ring.  Is this normal?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: MesaMike on December 30, 2016, 11:52:35 AM
Cool thanks for all the help.  Just made a phone call :-)

One small issue.  When dialing, not on every digit, but on a couple of them, the bells made a slight ring.  Is this normal?

Great!  The ringer tapping is not unusual.  I don't think that the North ringers had bias springs to prevent it like most other North American phones.  You can probably make some adjustments to the ringer to minimize it, like moving the gongs a bit farther out.

Larry