News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'54 no-dial 500 with an Earl Scheib paint job

Started by baldopeacock, December 19, 2010, 11:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Been watching this one for a couple of days and I'm sure several of the rest of you have as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360327123481
( dead link 10-19-21 )

That Baby-Moon style dial blank and the straight cord would seem to suggest that under the custom rattle-can paint job there's an old 500 that may never have visited the refurb shop.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but that early dial blank may be worth what the buyer paid for the phone?

Anyone here get it?

wds

Is the 6 hole receiver rare?  I have a 6 hole on my '54 500, but had no idea it was special until now.
Dave

Dennis Markham

Dave, I wouldn't say that the 6 hole caps are rare.  They're just an indication of the time period.  The early caps were Bakelite and had 6 holes as opposed to the 7 hole caps that came later.  Sometime around 1957 some early soft plastic caps had only 6 holes.  Northern Electric made 6 hole caps much later into the 60's.  I don't know the exact date.  So they aren't really rare, but one indication that an original handset may not have been refurbished and upgraded with a later cap.

HarrySmith

From the winning bid code it appears to be Janet, who we do not have much info on. I have seen this person win quite a few phones lately.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

baldopeacock

I'd like to see how well it can clean up.   That gold spray-bomb coat should come off fairly well.