News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

*** The "Find of the YEAR" for 2013 ***

Started by AE_Collector, January 02, 2014, 01:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The "Find of the YEAR for 2013" - Vote for your Favorite THREE

Paul F's CLEAR AE 34 for that was given to him for FREE!
13 (35.1%)
Gilas' Oxford Grey 500 for only $19.95 on an ebaY Buy it Now
9 (24.3%)
Unbeldi put together an almost Instant Collection of Colored 302's
5 (13.5%)
LarryInMichigan's Green 302 snagged for only $49
9 (24.3%)
Dan got a 1950/1951 early black WECo 500 for $29.99 in an ebaY BIN
6 (16.2%)
AE40FAN got a Mahogany Automatic Electric Monophone for $89.99 BIN on ebaY
10 (27%)
Gilas bought a Mediterranean Blue WECo 500 for an amazing  $33.33
11 (29.7%)
tptech302 scored a 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set found on eBay BIN for $39.95
2 (5.4%)
Gilas' was shopping again. This time a 591 Rose Beige & 500 Oxford Gray - $30
7 (18.9%)
unbeldi is back again with a 1958 Mahogany Brown 564H key set for $319 including shipping
5 (13.5%)
WEBellSystemChristian grabbed a Set of 3 - 10 Button WECo Phones for $4 Total
7 (18.9%)
Gilas DID IT AGAIN, this time a  nice Automatic Electric #2 for only $39.95
5 (13.5%)
cchaven finished the year with a Mahogany Brown WECo 591 for $12 at an Antique Mall
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on February 09, 2014, 04:16:30 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on February 09, 2014, 03:38:37 PM

What am I missing, other than the joke?

I think the joke is all you're missing!   ;)

Thanks, Paul. That's what I got from your original post, and the second post but then the 3rd threw me. Thought there was a problem as we had during the upgrade to SMF Ver 2.x. Maybe being up to 4 am this Sunday morning working on the computer took its toll today on my judgement. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem.

BTW, love that photo you put up of your very strange aspect ratio monitor . . .  ;)

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on February 09, 2014, 04:51:16 PM

BTW, love that photo you put up of your very strange aspect ratio monitor . . .  ;)

It's a standard monitor that rotates 90 degrees, so it can be in either standard landscape or portrait orientation.  It's quite useful for editing documents.

Software rotates the image in 90 degree increments.  It is possible to use the software to rotate the image 180 degrees, so it's upside down.  When the image is not right side up, moving the cursor with a mouse or trackball is an interesting challenge.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on February 09, 2014, 04:59:30 PM
It's a standard monitor that rotates 90 degrees, so it can be in either standard landscape or portrait orientation.  It's quite useful for editing documents.

They had those in the 80s for secretaries working on the old Wang and other word processing only systems. Portrait aspect ratios so the full Wang or MS Word page could be seen as it would be printed. Those dedicated systems are long gone but I see they kept the idea alive with that monitor. I thought it was a framed, printed picture of the trophy, until I saw the icons at the bottom.

All is well and I even learned something new. Enjoy!

paul-f

During the 80s, Chris worked in marketing for the group in DEC that made their word processing systems.  She still does a lot of serious document production, so we have a few toys to keep her happy.

I must admit, I enjoy using that monitor occasionally for gawking at phone photos!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Back in the late 80s when my computer (8086) was built from parts many of which I scrounged for, I snagged a couple of 5 Meg hard drives (full height of course) out of all the DEC Rainbow computers at work when they upgraded them all to either 10 or 20 Meg HDs! Life was good!!!

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 09, 2014, 07:56:06 PMBack in the late 80s when my computer (8086) was built from parts many of which I scrounged for, I snagged a couple of 5 Meg hard drives (full height of course) out of all the DEC Rainbow computers at work when they upgraded them all to either 10 or 20 Meg HDs!

Flashback time, Terry. In the mid '80's, I remember pricing those brand new 5 Meg full height hard drives for sale to customers as part of scientific analytical instrumentation made by my employer that was used with electron microscopes. They sold for $10,000, each.  And, $10 grand in the mid '80s was serious buy a nice new car money. The processors were Dec PDP 11/23's if memory serves, with true core memory boards. Then the 10 Meg drives came out for a bit more. That was before extended memory mapping came to be so the DEC CPU was limited to 32 KBytes, 28 useable and 4 for housekeeping. Ah, the good old days.