News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12 phones and have no idea what I am doing.. Take a look..

Started by Everwood, February 03, 2011, 09:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

Nice start on your collection.  I'm still new here too, and I'll say that there are some very knowledgable, helpful, and kind folks here.  You couldn't find a better group of people IMO.

Lots of good suggestions so far.  I'd like to point out the fact that old phones are so durable, you may find that most do not even need much more than cleaning.

I've gotten dozens of phones from flea markets, Goodwill stores, and  non working ones given to me, and I'd say 90 something % needed nothing more than a good cleaning, and very minor repairs.  Most non-working phones I've received had a problem with a broken wire in the handset cord or mounting cord, or were wired wrong.  Not much chance of finding burnt / smoked componets as you would in a stereo componet ... and if you do, it's always easy to obtain, or designate one of yours as a "parts" phone.

Fine auto polishing compounds & waxes work well for cleaning.  I only use sanding as a last resort.

Some phones you may want to make like new, and with some old worn ones you may enjoy the vintage / character factor of an antique.  Good luck.

Josh P

stub

Everwood,
                Here's the GSP on your AE speakerphone adapter.   stub

http://tinyurl.com/45le5ns
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Aaron,
           Your welcome. When you hook up the speaker phone adapter and you have to get a power supply , please let me know where you find one. I checked my line and I don't have the 17 volts to operate the adapter.  Good luck on yours.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Nice batch of equipment you got there, and good of your friend/boss to give all that stuff to you.  BTW, I'm a PBX eng too, Panasonic; so in theory we're competition:-)

What I'd suggest is to start with the 302 that has the damaged/melted housing, just to get a feel for how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble these.  What I've found works best for cleaning phones is:

Buy a couple of toothbrushes, one stiff and one soft, to keep in your tool kit exclusively for this purpose.  First wipe off all the dust you can get with a clean rag.  Then dilute a few drops of liquid dish detergent (any brand) with a tablespoon or so of water; dip the soft toothbrush into that solution and scrub the surfaces. 

When cleaning electrical components, first dip the toothbrush in the soapy water and then shake off the excess so it's only damp rather than dripping. 

If you run into areas with tough grime (often found in handset cradles), use the stiff toothbrush.

Follow with a "rinse cycle" using a damp (but not dripping) sponge (water only). 

Let the stuff dry in the air (use a small fan to speed up the process if you like). 

If the finish has dulled from this process, it may be possible to get it back to a decent luster by rubbing with a wool cloth only.  If that's not sufficient, there are various special telephone polishing compounds available for bakelite and for soft and hard plastics.  One can also use a buffing wheel attached to an electric drill but that takes skill & patience to learn how to do correctly (and safety goggles!), so practice on the melted housing and don't overdo because it can blur the sharp molding lines in plastics if overdone. 

Most of these will not require electrical repairs, or at most will have minor problems that can be fixed by replacing cords and so on. 

GG

Re. your AE speakerphone adaptor:

From my reading of the GTEP doc, those don't require external power supply or a control unit mounted on the wall or anything.  They are line powered.  The exception is where a telephone line can't deliver adequate voltage, and then an adaptor is required. 

However, "reading between the lines," they probably have fairly low volume, and are susceptible to feedback if the volume is turned up.  Thus the circuit is probably not the same as used on the AE 880 "Executive" speakerphone, which I'm almost certain uses partial gain switching to eliminate those problems.

The wiring information is for using these with AE phones typically the standard type 80 dial phone, which was AE's answer to the WE 500 and is nothing like a 500 in terms of components & wiring. 

That said, it's an interesting piece of equipment and I'd buy one if I found one available somewhere (Anyone have a working (or "probably working") unit for sale?  Black, dark green, or beige preferred). 

rp2813

That one black 500 (or is it a 5302?) in the back row appears to have its dial or bezel and fingerwheel installed upside down.  What's up with that? 

It's hard to tell if the handset is G1 or F1, but it appears to have a straight cord, which is a big plus for a G1.
Ralph

AE_Collector

I think that is one of the Leich Convertibles and it is set up for a wall mounting at the moment.

Terry

Sargeguy

Get some Novus plastic polish, electrical contact cleaner, a toothbrush, Armor-All, sewing machine oil, pipe cleaners and an old toothbrush.  Also some high grit sandpaper 800-2000 that you find in auto supply stores.  And some of those heavy duty paper towels they sell in hardware stores.  Start cleaning.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

stub

GG,
    Here you go.      http://tinyurl.com/4bqaty3

I think it takes a 17 volt minimum to operate the adapter or you need to use the Type 88 power supply . I only have 9.5 on my line , bummer :( . If anybody has any ideas of where to find the power supply, let me know!!!        stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Stub - THANKS majorly!  I can see that one needs parts including the volume knob, but I can deal with scrounging up or fabricating the parts to make it work.   These things are probably of no value to anyone else around here, but I have reason to want to play with them. 

When I was 14 I attempted to build a speakerphone from components, by interfacing to the 425E network in a 500 set, and I ended up with something more or less similar in design but crude and it had the same problem with feedback that's suggested in the AE document.  It'll be interesting to see how AE did it, and what they did to make theirs work better than mine. 

While I'm talking with the Knappens (silly me, I should have checked their site right away), I may as well also order a subset for my AE 1A Monophone, that has gone all these years waiting for one.  That will be another case of "this was made 80 years ago and sounds better than a cellphone, neener-neener!":-)

GG

Follow-up:  Of the total of five, Mary said there are two missing lamp covers and two missing volume controls, but otherwise they're in good condition.  So as of shipping time today they were all sent on their way to me, and now I have a little project on my hands:-)   Initially I'm just going to put together a couple of working ones and not worry about finding replacement parts for the missing lamp caps and volume knobs.  Sooner or later I'll find those parts. 

One of them is going to go on an AE 187 Touch Calling 3-line set that I use for power fail backup of the business lines on my PBX, and for making test calls when I'm on with a client.  This will relieve me of having to play 2-handset-tag with both hands tied up during those calls.  Another might end up on an AE 85-A or 85-D attached to the other two lines on my desk, one of which I use making dialup modem calls to PBXs for remote programming.  Yes I was looking at those WE units on Ebay but they were going for more than I could spend on this project, and the AEs will work fine. 

So thanks again for letting me know about those.

Everwood

Type 88AT Speakerphone Adapter
L7034 Adapter Unit
L7033 Loudspeaker

Now to figure how to hook this up...
I am showing 8.5 VDC when I go off hook... is this the voltage that needs to be 17V?

stub

Everwood ,
                 Unfortunately , I think so, but I've been wrong before ! STILL WRONG!!
               I was thinking about getting one from Phoneco but somebody  ::) whom shall remain nameless  ::) bought all of them ;D.
               I only had 9.5 off hook so I don't think it would work here either. I was needing black, so if you want to sell yours sometime send me a PM. I don't have a clue as to where we could get a Type 88 power supply , yet.  We might could modify something  and make a power supply.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Hi Stub - Oops, sorry 'bout that, I didn't know you were planning to buy one of those.  In which case I'll sell you one of mine for what it cost me (or trade for whatever, suggest something), and I should probably cover shipping at my expense to make up for what amounted to un-cooperative "bid sniping."   If I recall correctly there are two beige, two white, and one green.  I want to keep the green one for an 85-A of the same color that I got NOS after AE ceased to exist, so pick white or beige, email me your ship-to address via the message function on this board, and we're good to go. 

Meanwhile, about those pesky power supplies: 

We need to find GTEP for the power supply because that probably has the wiring diagrams.  The doc for the speakerphone unit itself didn't seem to include the information on where to connect external power, and that's vital to know before we get started, else we risk burning out the unit. 

That doc will probably include the voltage specs.  In which case it should be possible to build a power supply to provide the desired voltage, or search for one online.  I'm going to guess it's filtered 24 VDC talk battery, to minimize crosstalk from AC noise or unfiltered DC noise via the line cord.  Since I'm going to end up with a couple of spares it ought to be on me to guinea-pig the power supply once we find the specs & schematics. 

Realistically I doubt we're going to find original power supplies.  OTOH, AE (as with WE et. al.) liked to standardize as much equipment as possible; for example these speakerphone control units are built into housings that are also used (with different holes punched in them) for the AE equivalent of WE 4050 keysets typically used with wallphones.  So I'd be willing to bet that a look through some AE catalogs, in the section under Key Systems, will turn up the right power supply and include information on voltage output.  So that's a backup in the event we can't find the proper wiring diagrams etc. 

What are you guys going to attach these to?

Generally, I think the way they interface with the phone is that the turn-key bypasses one side of the hookswitch to connect the CO line to the side of the transmission network to which the dial is connected; and then the other leads interface to the other side of the dial contacts including off-normal, and the other side of the line.  That might mean these can't be used on Touch Calling sets except in the mode whereby one uses the handset while dialing, and then turns the key on the speakerphone and hangs up the handset.  We'll see...