News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

On a AE WA-1154A Network, which capacitor is the spark suppression cap.?

Started by RotoTech99, February 14, 2018, 09:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a AE WA-1154A transmission network that I'd like to convert to use a AE tone dial with, please.

I know it involves removing the spark suppressor cap. from the network, but I can't  recall which one that is. I know it's done in older AE Starlites to make the network capable of using a tone dial.

I believe it's the large cap. at the front of the network marked D-68866A, but I want to be sure.

I'm attaching a photo of mine; it's on a Decotel component plate for a Chestphone I'm converting to AE components with a tone dial.

If anyone can assist, please I would be thankful; I'll also check my GTEP's under the practice for the Starlite set as I think it will have my answer.

Would I be correct in assuming the WA-1155A is the same as the WA-1154A, except that the spark suppressor cap. is absent from it; I've seen WA-1154A networks that were converted, but I never really gave much thought to it, and would like to know please.

Also, the AE dial I'm using has a static shield with a black lead, I know how it connects inside a AE80E, but I have no idea if I'd need it in a Decotel chestphone connected to a WA-1155 Network, or how it would connect, so any replies or comments I'd be most thankful for, please

Thank you,
Rototech99

AE_Collector

I've never considered that you must remove the cap on a tone dial set. But don't consider that as the answer as I can't recall converting a set from dial to tone and I'm not much at electronics.

I have seen many times on the AE80E network board where Tone sets are missing one capacitor and a note is printed in that location to add a capacitor if converting the phone back to dial. I assumed the missing capacitor was just a cost reduction on networks for Touch Call phones.

On the older WA-1154-A Type networks I would assume the (rarely seen) WA-1155-A network is just missing that capacitor but haven't compared. I have one on my bench at the moment that I can give a once over and get back to you a bit later today.

The static lead can't hurt anything if connected to the same lead it is connected with on an 80E.

Terry

RotoTech99

Thank you, I'd heard that the spark suppressor cap. would interfere with the tone dial, and was removed for tone sets, that's why I asked...

I'd seen it removed in AE Starlites with the WA-1154A network before, I'm just a bit foggy on it.

As to  the static shield lead, I can check my 80E practice for the proper connection.

Thanks,
Rototech99

AE_Collector

Sorry, these aren't easier to see. First is 1154 and second is 1155 with touchpad. The board components seem slightly rearranged on the 1155 though not the terminal numbering. You can see that the big red capacitor is missing next to the transformer. Interesting that on the 1155 the other two capacitors swapped places with each other and the large one changed from red to black but same # on it.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused on whether to remove the dial spark suppressor cap, and which one it would be on my WA-1154A networks...I thought it was the D-68866A  in front of terminals 9 through 6 on the front of the network with a smaller cap. behind it was it.... 

So it's the cap. marked D-68849A that is the spark suppressor cap., correct? That has a yellow disc. cap. behind it?

Is that the one to remove for tone dialing?

Apologies for all the questions, but I want to be sure I remove the right one.

I'll download your pictures tomorrow, but if you could please clarify in the meantime, I would be thankful.

Rototech99

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on February 14, 2018, 03:35:50 PM
So it's the cap. marked D-68849A that is the spark suppressor cap., correct? That has a yellow disc. cap. behind it?

Is that the one to remove for tone dialing?

All I can answer is that is the one missing on an 1155 network, The one beside the yellow disc. I don't know anything about the purpose of each one.

Why not leave it as is and see if it Works? You can clip that one out later if it seems to cause problems.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I really need a definite one way or the other answer, but I see what you mean for the most part.

I'll ask the technical people with Phoneco as well to see what they say.

I have an 80E tone set that has the cap. mentioned needed for rotary conversion so I'll look at that "D-number" as well. The text looked blurry but I think I can read it enough to tell.

I'd always assumed it was the the large one behind terminals 9-6 with the smaller one behind it.

Most grateful for your advice, thank you.

Rototech99

kleenax

Speaking of 1154A networks, I found this today while "rummaging" in the garage! A whole box full of these networks with this little diagram in with it! Paul Vaverchak's work for payphones no doubt ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RotoTech99

Yes, that is interesting, but I'm trying to find out which cap. to remove to convert it for tone dial use..

I think think it's the D-64889A by the transformer with the yellow disc. cap. behind it, but I need to know for sure before I remove it.

Rototech99

poplar1

Terry, is there anything connected to terminal 11 in the Touch-call set?

If not, then even if there is a capacitor/resistor between 1 and 11 for a rotary dial, wouldn't it then be out of the circuit -- even if still mounted to the network?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Nope. Nothing on 11 in the turquoise Starlite with very old AE Touchpad and nothing on 11 on a Touch Call 80E.

Terry

rdelius

My GTE practices mentions a 1uf spark surpressor cap  on rotary versions, omotted on tough calling versions

poplar1

I don't know which networks are shown here, but 182A with Rotary Dial has 3 capacitors in the talking ckt.

C1 = 0.33 MF connects to terminal 11 and to one leg of R2 (100 ohms). R2 connects to terminal 1.
Dial pulse connects to 11 and 1.

C2 = 0.67 MF

C3 = 0.20 MF

The Touch Call shows only the 0.67 and 0.20.

473-220-201 Issue 2 Fig.2
473-220-202 Issue 2 Fig. 2

poplar1

WA-1154-A

C1 = 0.33 uF. Connects to 11 and to resistor R2.

C2 = 1.5 uF

C3 = 0.33 uF

473-215-200 Issue 3/Fig. 2, Type 80

RotoTech99

I did some checking, and I believe the D-68849A cap. is the one to remove to allow the WA-1154A to be used with a tone dial.

It's the same one used in a AE80E network for when it's equipped for rotary dialing.

It also says an equivalent can be used.

I can't type the value out as it appears, but it says the D-68849A is value .55 + 10% rated at 400VDC. The uf numbers mentioned are" Greek" to me, unfortunately.

It looks to be connected  to terminals 11 and 23, it's a little hard to tell, but I think that's correct.

Rototech99