and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Standard Electrrical Works phone

Started by Sargeguy, December 13, 2010, 08:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

What is the story on this dinosaur?

http://tinyurl.com/2g6934j

A Bell System phpne pre-Western Electric?  What year was that?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

this would have been around 1880. Western Electric was not part of Bell Telephone Yet. At this point it American Bell Telephone not AT&T yet.
Robby

AE_Collector

Haah! For once an ebaY seller actually underestimated a phone items age instead of over estimating it! I knew it had to happen sooner or later. Here's an exerpt of the text from the auction and a picture for myself so when I find myself looking at this thread sometime next year I won't be frustrated that the ebaY link has expired and no pictures are available.

Terry

This is an ANTIQUE WOOD CRANK BELL TELEPHONE BOX WITH DOVETAIL CORNERS. This was a wonderful find! This telephone is very old, probably dates from turn of the century to 1920s. It has a brass plate on the front marked 'Made for Bell Telephone by Standard Electrical Works Cincinnati.'

NorthernMan

Someone saw the value in it. Sold for $229.

bingster

I believe that's the same as the piece that was the subject of auction contest 56, which ended at $394.  It's one part of a multi-box phone set.
= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

Good eye, Bingster! Sure looks like the same thing!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Here's one I took a shot on made by Standard Tel & Electric. Really nice Nickel pieces. Wood looks great. It will be a nice winter project....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=280604162150&si=w3%252FjHMD0GdOtKZOKnAPX6GIPcw8%253D&viewitem=
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Are these Companies rRlated or the Same Company. Google search does not help....thanks....Doug

Standard Electrical Works Cincinnati.

Standard Tel & Electric Madison Wisonsin
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I found the Standard of Madison WI Wall phone waiting on the porch for me when I got home from work last night. I am thrilled with the condition of it. I took it all apart, it has really great nickel everywhere, even the posts. Funny, the posts are nickel but the screws are not. Very minor. While taking this apart, I found that it was just a substation before it was made into a phone. The transmitter cup sure looks like an old ATT. What is left of the instructions on the back of the door has Bell in it. By the time I finished taking it apart, it was too late for pictures. I'll get them out tonight before I attempt to start the refurb. I asked if they was a difference between the two Standard Electrical COs on the TCI List. Walt Ayleotte said they were two separate, entirely different companies. I was mildly disappointed, thought I had a 1890's pre WE phone   BUT ...this sure looks like it has ATT/Bell markings. Just food for thought. This is way outside of any alledged expertise I have. Either way, this will be a beauty when finished.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

The pictures aren't the best, both sides of the transmitter cup 1907 pat date and the remains of the label dated 1901. I removed all the paint and layers of lacquer. Beautiful tiger oak underneath. Wood is as hard as steel. I think I have most of the parts I need. Something was removed from the top of the phone on the inside and the wood had wood dowels driven in it. See the below This is going to be a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

My biggest worry with the phone was resolved at 5:30 AM before I left for work. In its life, the crank handle was snapped right of the magneto. This must have been quite a blow as the solid metal was snapped off clean. I tried my best, but couldn't budge it. It was a royal &&&& off as I had already invested a lot of time in the refurb. I amply dowsed the broken piece with Marvel Mystery Oil (my favorite for dial lubrication as I got a huge sealed can of it 10 + years at a yard sale). I also oiled up the gears of the mag in hope of success. I went to bed with a feeling of dread. I woke up this morning and I got out my big flat head pliers and...... it just unscrewed right off. No resistance what so ever. Whoa!! The magneto spins perfectly as well with no damage from the huge blow it took. This is 110 years old! Check out the pic of the clean break of this handle. Mystery oil? Well, I guess it is.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Doug Rose

thanks Robby....the seller thought it was a Kellogg phone, I don't know how he knew. This will be a True Frankenphone, besides all the nickel on the phone;  any nickel parts that I have to refurb with are WE. I still think it will display well. After removing all the paint and lacquer last night. I put the final coat of Howard's clear on tonight. After stripping and steel wool last night, I applied Minwax walnut stain. Wood looks really great. Cleaning the nickel parts is next. Nickel looks really amazing for its age or really any age. With a little down time for Christmas, this should come together quickly. Working with vintage wood is truly gratifying, the grain is just superb...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Cosmetically it is a finished phone. I have a cloth WE cord to install on it. There were a lot of hours put in on this, it came out better than expected. Now, I have to find a place to put it. Merry Christmas....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

before and after
Kidphone