News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Picture of NE 500

Started by Tonyrotary, August 30, 2009, 07:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

Well we just bought a new desk to replace the old computer desk we had. It is a nice desk that is handcrafted. So of course it needed something nice on it as well. The wife pulled out her 500 from the box, I put a bit of armorall protectant on it and voi`le!! Of course I have the ringer on. So sitting on the couch, you can hear the 500 as well as a 554 in the kitchen ring in stereo! Gotta love these old phones. Oh the 500 is dated 1964. Did not open it to check for matching parts yet.

McHeath

A nice black desk phone is always an elegant touch. 

Tonyrotary

I agree. The picture doesn't do it enough justice. It does have a very tiny crack on the housing near the dial between the 9 and 0. Can only really see it up close though. Will have to repair it so as to keep it from getting larger. Has some minor scuffs and a scratch on the handset. Will try to polish it out after we move. My wife really wants the 302 on the desk after I restore it.

Dan

what a great wife you have. My wife hates the 302, and must have at least a 500. She can't cradle a F1 handset....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

rp2813

I have to agree with Dan's wife about cradling an F1 handset.  I decided to switch to a 500 for my daily driver for that reason.  I also think a black 500 is a very handsome phone on any desk.  It means business.  I can't even imagine the trillions of dollars of business that transipred over a network of 500's across the U.S. and Canada from the early 50's well into the 1980's.

I think the black 302 is an elegant and classy phone, and a very nice touch at a woman's desk.  Maybe even with a straight handset cord.  Women are more willing to put up with a little inconvenience to achieve a certain look.  So I can see Tony's wife's point of view too.

It's a matter of personal preference and as long as it's a vintage phone with ringer connected, it's all good.

Ralph
Ralph

Tonyrotary

I took a break from polishing the F1 handset and set to repair the somewhat deep scratch on the 500. Started with 400 grit wet sandpaper, then 800, rubbing compound , and finally polishing compound with the buffer. At first it looked like I might not remove the scratches from the sandpaper, but got them removed. I must say I wish bakelite was this easy. Come to think of it I should of taken pics before and after.