News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Square Dry Cell Battery - Burgess 3v

Started by mazda_matt, October 25, 2017, 09:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

Anyone ever come across one of these? Found it in a box, would like to know what phone it came out of.

Made in Niagara Falls, Canada.
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

K1WI

That type of dry cell was used in the "good old days" in vacuum tube radios .It was usually referred to as the "A" battery and powered the filaments in the tubes .  It was used along with a higher voltage "B" battery that was  needed for the plate voltage. Sometimes these dry cells were used to provide the local talk battery in rural phones.

Andy F    K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

mazda_matt

Quote from: K1WI on October 25, 2017, 07:30:52 PM
  That type of dry cell was used in the "good old days" in vacuum tube radios .It was usually referred to as the "A" battery and powered the filaments in the tubes .  It was used along with a higher voltage "B" battery that was  needed for the plate voltage. Sometimes these dry cells were used to provide the local talk battery in rural phones.

Andy F    K1WI

Good to know. Thanks Andy!

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

TelePlay

Also, just fit into the Burgess "Twin Six" 3 VDC lantern back in the day.

K1WI

John ,
     I thought that twin-six on the battery sounded familiar.  Thanks for your sharing your knowledge. 
Andy F    K1WI

twocvbloke

My curious nature would be probing the battery with a meter to see if it's still holding a charge, may not have any capacity for current left, but some old batteries like these will still show a voltage on a multimeter... :)

mazda_matt

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 25, 2017, 11:10:43 PM
My curious nature would be probing the battery with a meter to see if it's still holding a charge, may not have any capacity for current left, but some old batteries like these will still show a voltage on a multimeter... :)

No voltage present.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320