News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a WECo Soft Plastic Yellow 500

Started by cihensley@aol.com, June 02, 2012, 03:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

With a small amount of micro-mesh sanding and buffer polishing the full color was restored to this yellow 500. The first picture (on the blue felt) shows the phone before restoral. It was in pretty good condition. The base is dated 5-57, with all components matching.

Chuck

cihensley@aol.com

This is the picture that did not upload with the original post.

Chuck

jsowers

Great job, Chuck! Yellow (and pink) soft plastic has a tendency to fade to a lighter shade, which is unusual as phone plastics go. The number card really looks great on it.

Where's the mounting cord? The cords on the early yellow ones also tend to fade lighter, almost to ivory sometimes.
Jonathan

cihensley@aol.com

Jonathan:

I did not restore and re-attach the mounting cord. But cleaned and polished, it would look the same as the handset cord. You are correct. You can see in the picture that the handset cord is lighter than the phone, a tendency toward ivory. I tagged the mounting cord and threw it in a box with other miscellaneous cords.

Chuck

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Congrats Chuck for the beautiful job. Those yellow phones are keepers.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Chuck.  I agree with Jorge...those yellow 500's are very nice and still difficult to find (soft plastic versions).

Bill

Chuck -

Did you consider solvent-polishing this phone? The technique showed a lot of promise (and progress) last year, but the discussion suddenly died.

Bill

cihensley@aol.com

Bill:

Not with this one. I used micro-mesh sanding to remove the deeper scratches, then buffing with liquid medium rubbing compound followed by Novus 2. Solvent polishing was not required. I still plan to experiment with solvent polishing on appropriate future restorations.

Chuck

Nilsog

Fantastic job, Chuck! I've got to get some of that micro mesh, I've been using 2000 grit sandpaper and novus and I can't seem to get all the scratches out.
Ken

cihensley@aol.com

Ken:

Yes, you do. Stopping at 2000 before the Novus is too course. I started with 3200 on the scratches on this phone

Chuck

Nilsog

Unfortunately I may have to order some online, 2000 grit is the highest we have locally.
Ken

JorgeAmely

Jorge