News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Long Distance Shade

Started by Doug Rose, November 15, 2018, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Doug...I am at work, but this is the shade.  I cannot crop this pic. I will take pictures when I get home. it was made by Fenton and still has the Fenton label on it. Repro? Probably but made by Fenton. I would rather have this for $175 than  pay big bucks for a poor looking original. Imagine the original with the light on!....Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 15, 2018, 09:13:12 AM
Doug...I am at work, but this is the shade.  I cannot crop this pic. I will take pictures when I get home. it was made by Fenton and still has the Fenton label on it. Repro? Probably but made by Fenton. I would rather have this for $175 than  pay big bucks for a poor looking original. Imagine the original with the light on!....Doug

Thanks Doug,

I cropped it for you. By the way very nice shot of your collection.

CDN Doug

Doug Rose

Kidphone

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

This reply is to include the comments and two images posted in the auction contest for a similar blue lamp shade for this topic's comparison

========================

Quote from: Duffy on November 14, 2018, 03:31:34 PM
$999.00

Only because another Canadian collector friend I know said this about it.

"Depending on condition $800++ US. This one seems to have some fading in the blue colour (White Marks). I paid $550 US for mine many years ago when the money was close to being at par."

I have one made by Fenton just before they went out of business. Got it new in a box for $175. It is perfect. I agree with Doug this spotted and faded. I have never seen one do that. Just my humble opinion....other Doug
========================

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 14, 2018, 08:17:33 PM
I have one made by Fenton just before they went out of business. Got it new in a box for $175. It is perfect. I agree with Doug this spotted and faded. I have never seen one do that. Just my humble opinion....other Doug

Doug,

Can you take some close up pictures of yours and post them to compare them? Start another thread?

CDN Doug
========================

Doug Rose

best I could get at night...Doug
Kidphone

Payphone installer

The one on eBay is the real deal difference is the size of the letters.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 15, 2018, 08:08:37 PM
best I could get at night...Doug
This appears to be a John Infurna shade. John created a mold and had Fento make the shades. ISTR they sold for about $500.00 new.
The Infurna shade has a thicker neck than the originals.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 16, 2018, 07:50:45 AM
This appears to be a John Infurna shade. John created a mold and had Fento make the shades. ISTR they sold for about $500.00 new.
The Infurna shade has a thicker neck than the originals.
Jim S.

Regular Member Post

Jim,

Just to be clear, what you said is the eBay item is an original and the one Doug has is a John Infumna reproduction?

Is that right?

Doug Rose

Mine came in a Fenton box and has a Fenton sticker inside of it. Best of my knowledge it is Fenton and not John Infumna.  I am happy to own it. It is in brand new condition....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

The original appears to have raised letters, the copy appears to have smooth letters.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Payphone installer

John Infurna shades were made by Fenton. The letters on the repros are larger than the originals.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on November 16, 2018, 09:41:47 AM
     Regular Member Post

Jim,

Just to be clear, what you said is the eBay item is an original and the one Doug has is a John Infumna reproduction?

Is that right?

That is my belief. I used to have an Infurna that I bought from John. It came in a Fenton box and had the fenton sticker. It looks like the one Doug posted.
I have seen originals at shows, and they look like the ebay item. John handmade the molds for his, He did not make a mold from an original shade.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

As a side note.
John Infurna also made some glass mouthpieces. He machined the metal parts and had an original mold for the glass mouthpiece. He had Fenton make the mouthpieces with the original mold. That is how he started working with Fenton glass.

His original plan on the shade was to have them make some oddball examples such as clear and swirled glass. They weren't interested in doing that kind of work. So all they shades he had made were the blue and white like the originals.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Another FYI:
Before John made his shades; Originals were selling for $1500-$1800. He offered his at $500.00.  Some collectors with original shades  felt that the repro's would drop the value of the originals. That value of originals has dropped, but I think it is because of the internet.
The ones sold by Phoneco were made by John.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,