News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red thermoplastic 302

Started by Doug Rose, August 24, 2016, 08:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won the damaged red thermo 302 on eBay yesterday.  It's one of the the first '41 thermos with the date in vermillion inside on the top back of the shell.

I am hoping someone has a decent red dial blank as I would love to make it into a manual set. I have a Good red  handset and cord as all the damage is in the back.

Should the plungers be red or black.

Anyone with a good dial  blank, not too bent....message me.....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Damaged-Pekin-Red-Western-Electric-302-Phone-Housing-Till-You-Can-Do-Better-/222223672296
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, great find, Doug!!

Ideally, the plungers should be red. But black or painted plungers should work well.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

When I saw this auction, I thought I had seen the set before, and found it !

It was also covered on the Forum:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16333.msg169194#msg169194

Only difference is that previously, it was a complete set, rather than pieces,  and sold for $67.

Back then it had a 5J dial, which can go for $50 alone, and it had a handset and cord, and base.
So, the original buyer decided to take it apart and sell the pieces for a profit.

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 24, 2016, 08:22:08 PM
Anyone with a good dial  blank, not too bent....message me.....Doug

I believe the proper apparatus blank should be an 82A-20, the metal type but painted red.   The  plastic blank, 94A, did not exist yet, I don't think.

The finger hold closure should also be metal, the same kind as used in metal 302s, but painted red.

WEBellSystemChristian

Slightly off-topic here:

I have a 5J that was painted black. It was definitely done from the factory, and I don't see any evidence of while paint (not even white overspray on the underside). It looks used, but came with a badly damaged--barely recognizable--cylindrical container, obviously from the factory/refurb shop. I haven't used it for a phone yet, and may repaint it white if I get an early color 302 without a dial.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Quote from: unbeldi on August 26, 2016, 03:48:58 PM
When I saw this auction, I thought I had seen the set before, and found it !

It was also covered on the Forum:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16333.msg169194#msg169194

Only difference is that previously, it was a complete set, rather than pieces,  and sold for $67.

Back then it had a 5J dial, which can go for $50 alone, and it had a handset and cord, and base.
So, the original buyer decided to take it apart and sell the pieces for a profit.

Karl...what a memory!! Two different long time collectors so the set could have changed hands.

You feel if I paint a dial blank (easy for me as it will match the plungers and I have a nickel retainer ring) it will display well??.

I do appreciate your info on this...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 26, 2016, 05:36:05 PM

I have a 5J that was painted black. It was definitely done from the factory, and I don't see any evidence of while paint.

New 6D dials, the replacement for 5Js,  could be ordered with black cases rather than white, according to the 1957 Graybar catalog. Is your black 5J new or refurbished?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 26, 2016, 07:59:08 PM
Karl...what a memory!! Two different long time collectors so the set could have changed hands.

You feel if I paint a dial blank (easy for me as it will match the plungers and I have a nickel retainer ring) it will display well??.

I do appreciate your info on this...Doug

I think so, strip the paint from a black 82A-3, sand it to a smooth finish and paint it pekin red to make it a 82A-20.

It it were my set, I would also use the finger hold closure piece that came with the sale and use the material to close the cracks and close the jack cut out appropriately. There probably is more than enough material for all that. A piece could be cut from it to close that hole and create a proper cord exit. The rest of the material can be used to weld it all together.

Handset should a a solid handle type.  The metal-closure hook switch should only be used with either a Bakelite handset or a solid-handle thermoplastic handset.  The 1949-1955 hollow handset should not be used for those hookswitch assemblies. Per BSP they are too light for those hookswitches. The hookswitch assemblies of the 1949-1954 color sets have a spring that compensates for the different weight.

poplar1

The correct apparatus blank for 1941 thermoplastic colored sets is the 92A, which is plastic, not metal.

1.01  This section covers both painted and thermoplastic
                       (plastic) colored station sets and parts. It is re-
           issued to include the colored plastic 302, 304, 305, 306, 307,
           401, 410 and 411 type telephone sets, the transparent dial
           finger wheels and 92A apparatus blanks used on colored
           plastic sets of the above types, and the new number cards and
           masks that are required for these finger wheels and apparatus
           blanks.  The new colored plastic telephone sets differ from the
           painted sets in that the housing, plungers, apparatus
           blanks and hand sets are made of the colored plastic material.
           These sets have a more permanent finish but are more fragile
           than the painted metal sets and should therefore be handled
           carefully.

BSP Section C30.011, Issue 4, 1-2-41, Colored Station Sets

Quote from: unbeldi on August 26, 2016, 03:53:40 PM
I believe the proper apparatus blank should be an 82A-20, the metal type but painted red.   The  plastic blank, 94A, did not exist yet, I don't think.

The finger hold closure should also be metal, the same kind as used in metal 302s, but painted red.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Ah, yes, sorry.  I forgot about the 92A.  Probably even harder to find than a solid handset.

Doug Rose

I have a red thermos handset with a cord, best I will be able to do with it....thanks all for all your help....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received the red 41 today and except for the back, it is in wonderful condition. Matches my red handset perfectly. Until I can successfully make it a manual set, he is free from his box and sitting on a shelf in my room.

Check your boxes for a red dial blank. I am searching to find the correct paint to match....Doug
Kidphone

Kenton K

Displays beautifully! For any color set, I think I'll take manual over dial any day.

kk

Dennis Markham

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 24, 2016, 09:11:13 PM

Ideally, the plungers should be red. But black or painted plungers should work well.

Regarding the plungers.......I have two Red 302's.  One is Pekin Red and the other is Cherry Red.  Both have CLEAR plungers.

~Dennis

unbeldi

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 27, 2016, 09:48:23 PM
Regarding the plungers.......I have two Red 302's.  One is Pekin Red and the other is Cherry Red.  Both have CLEAR plungers.

~Dennis
Clear plungers were a feature of the sets from 1949 until discontinuation in 1954.

The 1955 sets with CAB plastics are interesting, apparently they could have the hollow clear plungers, or solid clear plungers.