AE Dial with Metal Fingerwheel - Number Card Holder Removal Instructions

Started by Grumpy99705, November 19, 2011, 11:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 20, 2011, 08:43:19 AM
Grumpy, look here:

http://tinyurl.com/7n3m3fn

This is from the Telephony Document Repository - The TCI Library

Just click on "View" or "Download" to see an illustration of the procedure for removing the dial card retainer ring as described verbally in the previous posts.

Hi Dennis.. i'm Denis. I need to know how to lube the dial . Which oïl or grease I need for that please ?. thank you.

HarrySmith

You can find that also in the TCI library. I am at work and can't go to the site here but I know it is there because I have referred to it a lot! There is a special dial lube, of course, which is probably very scarce. Most of us use watch oil or light machine oil such as what is used for clocks and typewriters. Available in a handy needle dispenser. Should be available at your local hardware store.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 02, 2013, 02:07:16 PM
You can find that also in the TCI library. I am at work and can't go to the site here but I know it is there because I have referred to it a lot! There is a special dial lube, of course, which is probably very scarce. Most of us use watch oil or light machine oil such as what is used for clocks and typewriters. Available in a handy needle dispenser. Should be available at your local hardware store.

Yes I have oïl for sewing machine I imagine that its okay.....I have 2 big bottles of this oïl. sorry for my English.

HarrySmith

Your english is fine! Do you have a needle type dispenser to apply the oil?
If not you can use a tooth pick, I have done that before I got the needle. Dip the toothpick in the oil and apply a small drop to the points that are shown in the diagram.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 02, 2013, 02:34:10 PM
Your english is fine! Do you have a needle type dispenser to apply the oil?
If not you can use a tooth pick, I have done that before I got the needle. Dip the toothpick in the oil and apply a small drop to the points that are shown in the diagram.

Yes I have two needles because I repair some mechanical watches and I oiled my dial and now it works very well ...:) oh, I found on TCI Library a pdf concerning the clean up and oiling a dial so I followed the instructions and all work fine ...I have 4 old phones  and i'm gonna clean them all..Thank you for your patience on me for my harsh English  Harry and for the link concerning TCI Library. ;)

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 19, 2013, 01:34:40 AM
I think that if the card is original it has notches in the side that lock it onto the rest of the holder so it won't move. But "aftermarket" cards probably don't have the proper notches so they are a bit of a battle to keep them lined up properly when putting the number card holder back together.

Yes, just got a set from OPW and the number cards do have 3 notches, one square and 2 semicircular, which match the retainer ring card locking points. Once the plastic cover, also notched the same way, and card are in place and held there by the locking metal back plate, the card does not move in the metal ring.

And, yes, one must virtually destroy an old, cruddy plastic cover to get one apart the first time to see how the convoluted set up really works, and it works quite well once one removes and installs the assembly a few times, without a card in place.

ka1axy

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 19, 2013, 01:28:02 AM
OK, now how do you keep the number card from moving... when I had to change out the number card, after locking the holder back down, the card was crooked!
Use the transparent disc as a template and cut a notch for the loop in the fingerwheel that the prong in the dial card retainer slides into, and another elongated notch in the edge for the fingerwheel retainer. You don't need to cut notches for the dimples.

Contempra

Quote from: stub on November 29, 2011, 07:01:43 AM...Insert pocket screwdriver at # 5 rotate counter- clockwise toward #7 to remove and insert pocket screwdriver in #7 and rotate clockwise towards #5 to install. Hope this helps others...

Old post but still useful. I hesitated to buy phones with this kind of dial, now it will help me a lot yes! :) Thanks