News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How a 13 year old dials a Rotary Phone

Started by canuckphoneguy, May 27, 2012, 06:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

I had a similar experience many years ago (1990s)
A couple of little children (9 or 10 year old) got lost in my neighborhood.  I don't invite children into my house, so I brought the phone in my foyer out to the porch for them to use.  I had to show them how to use the dial.  It took a few tries but they managed to phone home.  At least they knew their phone number. An F1 handset looks so big in a childs hand.
Howard
Howard

Holtzer-Cabot

This is funny! I am 14, one of the youngest collectors here, and I don't have a smartphone and I don't text! I use my 1961 Western Electric 500 as my main phone right now. I have 3 500s, one 302, a W.E. TrimLine (Touch-Tone) and a 1903 Stromberg-Carlson magneto wall phone!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Dan/Panther

Personally I find it disturbing.
I know how to use the technology of my parents, and I also know how to use the technology of my children.
The upcoming generations are simply lazy.
Originally I used old technology to learn what I needed, for example, LIBRARY, now I use the New technology to learn new tings QUICKER. There is no excuse for being ignorant of your heritage, or where the future is going. It shows a complete lack of respect for anything other than self.
I don't usually post controversial subjects like this, but I also hate seeing the world go down the drain, because of lack of interest.
JMHO

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on May 27, 2012, 06:48:51 AM
Yesterday I had some friends over and their 13 year old son was looking at the rotatry phone in my living room (12/46 302.). I asked him if he knew how to dial it. He said , "No."  So he tried.

I was surprised to see him use his thumb to dial the number instead of his index finger. But then I realized that he's one of the "texting" generation.  It looked hilarious seeing him try to dial with his thumb.

He also asked, "How do you backspace?" when you make a mistake. I told him the backspacer is the two big buttons where the receiver goes.  ;D
I am 14, probably the youngest phone collector, and vintage electronics repairer! I like to repair old tube radios, and my main phone is my 1961 W.E. 500!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!