News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My FIFTH '37 302!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 20, 2017, 11:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just bought this for $45 on ebay. I did my usual eBay sweep after working on a 1937 302 today, which I was working on because I'm waiting to fix another 1937 302! Lo and behold, I find ANOTHER project 1937 302! This makes the fifth one that I own!

It looks like the ringer and rubber mounting plate were replaced at some point, as well as the feet. At least it appears that the important parts are still there---the original housing, base plate, plungers, and what I hope would be the lift... :P

Pretty happy with this purchase!

www.ebay.com/itm/122763531806
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Good eyes Christian. I went right by the listing....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

How can you tell from the outside it's a 1937?
Gary

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks Doug! I can't believe I noticed those ears while scrolling past the listing, but I did, somehow!

Quote from: oldguy on October 21, 2017, 10:42:53 PM
How can you tell from the outside it's a 1937?
There are actually several things that 1937's had (until December or so of that year in some cases) that set them apart from later versions.

-The cradle ears are shorter than the later types.

-The feet are riveted to the base instead of screwed on (visible rivet head on the bottom of the foot), but these feet were replaced.

-Lift has vertical slats, or vents, running up the wall closest to the dial. They're not visible in the eBay pictures, but I'm sure they're there. That's usually the first thing people notice when they pick up a 302 that tell's them it's a '37!

-Other things, such as an F1 handset without a groove or an original E1 (only very early '37 sets), and a #4 or very early #5 dial. This one doesn't appear to have an original handset, but none of my '37s do. The handsets were replaced on these very often apparently.
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

The other giveaway is the bottom of the phone. The early ones only had one large bump out, the later ones had a second smaller bump on the other end.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

oldguy

Thanks guys. Can anybody post a picture of the vent & one of a 302 with short ears next to a later 302 for comparison.
Gary

WEBellSystemChristian

The phone arrived a few days ago...I just haven't had the chance to post anything about it! ;D

It looks like everything is original, except for the dial, feet (rear are missing), handset, and cords. Whoever updated this before put the cords through the wrong mouseholes!

The ringer is also missing, except a previous owner (who I've nicknamed Mr. Dremel), ground it off with a cutting wheel, leaving the original rivets untouched! He also removed the rear feet the same way, and there are cuts and gouges in the base plate to prove it! >:( Fortunately, the gouges are only on the outside, and are covered up with a foot in place.

The dial is a #6, and the handset is dated 1953, along with the cords.

On the plus side, the paint is original, with only minimal corrosion in hidden areas. The missing paint is from normal wear, and should clean up nicely!

Oh, and yes, it has vents! :D
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: oldguy on October 22, 2017, 06:21:45 PM
Thanks guys. Can anybody post a picture of the vent & one of a 302 with short ears next to a later 302 for comparison.

Sure!

Also note the diameter of the plunger on the earlier 302.
Christian Petterson

19and41

I guess you have an octogenarian telephone museum now!  Congratulations!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

oldguy

Gary