"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 200: Gray Model 23J Paystation with E1 Handset - Ended 12/27/15

Started by TelePlay, December 20, 2015, 11:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 22, 2015, 08:07:25 AM
I an not an expert on these phones, but I do not think the E1 belongs on it. It doesn't seem to sit correctly and the spitcup does not fit correctly  in the notch of the phone. JMHO....Doug

You may be right, Doug, but if not the E1, then what? No one has chimed in on what may have been on this old set originally.

If this is an early set, then the hook would be a "prototype," if you will and as such may not have fit the handset perfectly as later phones did. It seems while not fitting "snug," it does seem to have a "3-point cradle" to hold the E-1 and hold it so it hands straight down, mostly.

I did a Google search for Gray Paystation and found 4 similar phones. Two had an E1 and two had an F1. The F1 fit "better" but it still did not fit snugly in the hook cradle.

Who knows or who has the records or documents or other proof showing what the original handset was used with this pay station, if not both?

andre_janew

According to what I read in another thread, this phone came out in the 1940s.  If that is the case, then the F-1 or F-1w would be correct.  There is, however, a possibility that an E-1 handset could've been used to replace a damaged, defective, or missing F-1 handset while this phone was in service.

slimjim

Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

And, the winner of Auction Contest #151 is slimjim, who with the 14th entry into the contest offered the winning guess of $580.00.  That guess gave him his very first win ever in our auction contests. Once again, our congratulations go out to slimjim for his first win in the CRPF Auction Contests and getting on the Contest Standings list. No place to go but up from there.

The Gray Paystation was won by i***3 ( 217 ) with his one and only bid, a last second snipe placed 11 seconds before the auction ended, to take the phone home for only $578.88. The phone rose into the high $200s over the first few days of it being listed and sat there until the last 30 minutes when 4 bidders nearly doubled the price. The auction saw 17 bidders placing 21 bids, a very low bids to bidder ratio.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 200 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.

slimjim

Thanks, I enjoyed playing. Watch out everyone this was my first auction. Just kidding, lucky guess. Looking forward to play in the next one.

slimjim
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"