News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red WE Two-Tone

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 13, 2015, 03:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I have been meaning to share this here for awhile, but I finally have the chance now.

I found the housing on this for cheap on eBay some time ago; a mid-1955 in great condition. I figured I could make a great two-tone with it, and finding a nice '50s base would be easy, only if it didn't take me all summer to find it!!

I was talking with member 'gands_antiques' (Gary) about some phones he had for sale on Craigslist (we actually ran into each other when I discovered his ad, and then slowly figured out who he was! ;D ) but a little while after not making a deal with any phones he was offering, he sent me an email telling me that his friend had a beige 500 with a chassis date of '56. I looked at the pictures, and it looked like the plastics and dial were from the early '70s, and the chassis was free of any refurb dates, and was in nice shape overall. If I paid shipping, I could have it for free. Deal!

I ended up finding a '55 dial and a '56 handset, so the whole phone is dated between 1955 and 1956. The handset cord is dated '66. This one will go great with my Ivory and Mediterranean Blue two tones!

Thanks for the chassis, Gary! If it weren't for you, I'd still be looking for one!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

WEBellSystemChristian, you seem to have an interest in two-tone 500-sets, so in case you haven't already seen it, here is a link to a brochure that shows the various combinations that were offered:

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on November 13, 2015, 06:21:57 PM
WEBellSystemChristian, you seem to have an interest in two-tone 500-sets, so in case you haven't already seen it, here is a link to a brochure that shows the various combinations that were offered:
Hmm..

The TCI Library is not too friendly with this domain so try this link instead...

jsowers

Christian, that's a nice-looking two-tone and very correct in its appearance. Just so everyone's on the same page, a two-tone has a black dial, black handset and black cords. A phone with just a black dial and color handset and either color matching or gray cords isn't a two-tone. It was full color. I know it's hard to believe, but in that day and time that's what they called it.

G-man that brochure sounded interesting, so I went looking for it and found out I contributed it.  ::)  It does have examples of both types of phones, so it's worth a look. The very first color 500s look like those in this brochure. The two-tones are shown after the full-color sets and there are only four shown--green, red, ivory and dark gray.

Back to Christian's phone, the House Phone Only number card reminds me a lot of one I have on an early red 500 that says (typed) NOTICE   DO NOT USE THIS PHONE and the phone number is also rubber stamped onto the card. It's posted at the link below.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1316.msg16769#msg16769
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Yes, I have read that brochure; in fact, I read it many, many times! It's definitely my favorite WE/Bell ad!

The card actually reads 'House Calls Only'. I found it on the Telephone Archive page.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford