"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trying To Get My 1/47 302 Working

Started by gands-antiques, January 31, 2012, 05:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello.

I have a (1/47) 302 with a F1 handset and the wires were pretty messed up when I bought it last week. I replaced the handset cord with a black rubber cord and then I wired the phone according to the 302 wiring pictures that were provided by "cihensley@aol.com on September 12, 2011, 07:22:57 PM, H Mount Wiring.pds.pdf" (10627.6 KB - downloaded 97 times.)  The pictures were great!!

I tested my phone when I was finished with the wiring and now my phone will ring and receive calls, but when I try to dial a number,  I get a dial tone, dial the number and it rings twice and then I get a message saying "if you'd like to make a call. please hang up and try again".

There is a fairly loud clicking in the handset earpiece when I am dialing and the dial is kind of sluggish
(it is slow to return to the original position). 

Will someone please give me some advice on how to get my phone working properly?

Thank you,
Gary

HarrySmith

Sounds like you may have a problem with the dial. Can you post some pictures?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

gands-antiques

Added pictures as requested by Harry.

Thanks,
Gary

LarryInMichigan

The wiring to the dial does not look correct.  The white wire from the handset should be connected to the "W" terminal which is on the opposite side of the dial.  I don't have time to check the other wires now.  This is a #6 dial which has a different layout than the #5 (or #4) dials which usually appear in 302s.

Larry

Doug Rose

Gary...this should help you out. Make sure the metal spades do not touch each other or anything metal. Connections must be tight...Welcom to the Forum.....Doug
Kidphone

sesjrs

Gary,
Your wiring on your network looks wrong.  It also appears like there is a red strap between L1 and L2?  That would cause a problem. I would recheck your wiring there.
Steve

Doug Rose

I notice a D 2993-1-1 above the date in vermilion. Looks like a Signal Corps phone. Is there a schematic on the bottom of the base.

Steve is right, the way it is strapped I am shocked you even have Dial tone with l1 and l2 connected...Doug

Kidphone

gands-antiques

Thanks Larry & Doug,

I moved the white wire to the right side "W" terminal and the dial tone stopped working.

I moved it back to the left side and I got a dial tone again but when I dialed a number I received the same message as before "if you want to make a call....."

I've been researching the TCI Wiring Diagrams & Technical Library and reviewing all of the different 300 series diagrams.  

I couldn't find any dials like mine (Like the picture Doug sent) with terminal locations (2) lower outside back terminals, (2) upper center terminals and (1) upper front terminal.

One thing that I notice when researching all of the 300 series diagrams is that my phone has a 2 wire modular mounting cord and some of the diagrams show 3 and 4 wire mounting cords.

Could it be that I need a 3 or 4 wire mounting cord??

You're right the number on the phone is D-2993 1-1 and there is no schematic on the bottom of the base.

Thanks to everyone foryour help!!

Thanks,
Gary

gands-antiques

Thanks all,

Here's another picture of my dial that I believe is a little clearer.  I think it is wired correct except the White wire is on the left instead of the right to get  a dial tone.

Steve...The picture is deceiving...there is not a strap from L1 to L2. The red wire is running below the other two red wires and it looks like a jumper.

Could the F1 handset/wiring have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks again,
Gary

LarryInMichigan

The white handset wire definitely needs to go to the "W" terminal on the dial.  If there is no dial tone with it that way, it could be that the dial contacts are not touching properly.  Do you hear dial tone if you connect the white wire to the "BB" terminal?  I wouldn't expect the dial to work with the receiver connected to the "Y" terminal.  The receiver will be bypassing the pulsing contacts.

Larry

gands-antiques

Thanks Larry,

I put the white wire back on the W terminal and no dial tone.  I put it on the BB terminal and no dial tone.

I put the white wire in the BK terminal and I got a dial tone and could dial out but the receiving party couldn't hear me and I could hear my voice in my handset ear piece. 

Do you think I could need a different mounting cord...mine is a two wire?

Thanks,
Gary

Doug Rose

Gary....click on the picture of the dial I posted. You will easily be able to see the designations

far left .... Y...yellow brown

top next ... R ...Red

bottom next... B.....Black

Top next ...BB ...Blue brown

last   W...white

You have a red wire as Steve pointed out between L1 and L2 on the coil...remove it

L1 should have the red wire or your line cord

L2 should have the green wire  of your line cord

good luck...Doug

Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Gary,

If there is no dial tone with the white receiver wire connected to the "BB" terminal, the hook switch might not be making proper contact.  Refer to the diagram at: diagram.  Ignore the parts about "party".  I believe that your phone should be wired according to this diagram.

Doug,

The wire which looks like it runs between L1 and L2 is actually going to the ringer.

Larry

gands-antiques

Thanks Doug,

I looks like all of the wires are connected to the correct terminals on the dial as shown in the picture you provided.

The issue with a red jumper is just a deceiving picture..L1 ands L2 are not jumped.  I'mattaching a better picture of the coil.

Thanks,
Gary

gands-antiques

Larry,

I'm going to have to confess my lack of electrical schematic interpretation...I looked at the diagram you provided but I can't figure out where the (3) wires from my handset go or where the (2) wires from my mounting cord go.

I'm guessing the problem is in the handset or mounting wiring but it may be some of the other wiring.

Thank you,
Gary