News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

So, What do you think??

Started by Babybearjs, July 26, 2014, 04:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Enclosed are copies of a ebay purchase...and the attached postage... the total inventory: 7 ITT 2564 telephones on pieces, extra #46 TT Pads, 1 2500 telephone in pieces.. and a bag of extra Receivers and Transmitters...   all being sold AS-IS.... so, did I do well, or did I get ripped off??
all the phones are in various states of refurbishing.... only 4 have handsets, a 5th has a handset, but its missing the Transmitter cap... I have 5 extra TT pads... all phones are Pre-Modular (hardwired handsets) so, what do you all think? 
John

Mr. Bones

John,
     looks to me like you can likely make several good telephones out of the lot. Enjoy your new toys, and keep us updated as you bring them back to life, if you would, please!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Babybearjs

how do you feel about the postage? do you think I paid too much? or because it was sent in 2 days, its justified.
John

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 26, 2014, 02:39:36 PM
how do you feel about the postage? do you think I paid too much? or because it was sent in 2 days, its justified.

(no link)

------------------

EDIT: - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12348.0;attach=104929 from above

TelePlay

So, did you pay $11 plus change, or the invoiced charge? One of you got a deal.

poplar1

$11.70 appears to be for postage paid at the post office which was in addition to the amount included on the preprinted address label. Possibly the wrong weight was originally used when calculating the amount for the prepaid label.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on July 26, 2014, 03:57:48 PM
$11.70 appears to be for postage paid at the post office which was in addition to the amount included on the preprinted address label.

Is there any way to determine how much postage is associated with just the preprinted label?

What you said makes sense if it was under weight printed but without knowing what the preprinted label payment was, we can't reconcile the invoice postage to what the seller actually paid to ship the box. We don't know what Babybearjs paid for shipping and the eBay auction link is not given so we don't know what the seller thinks it was going to be. Confusing, right?

poplar1

USPS site shows $61.20 online price (p.o. price $71.50) for Priority Mail for 34 LBs. to Zone 7, and $51.94 for standard post regardless of online or at post office.

http://postcalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?m=7&p=34&o=0&dz=83704&oz=16428&pob=0&MailingDate=7/28/2014&MailingTime=8:00%20AM&rect=True&l=18&h=12&w=12&g=0&rgt=0&live=0#

Invoice from seller was shown in one of the links under the photo in the first message ( Invoice-ebay.pdf ).

Auction link is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360991867461

Ebay calculator shows shipping charge of $52.14 for standard post or $71.75 if you put in the buyer's zip code. Listing said the package weighed 36 lbs. and shipping label says 34 lbs.

TelePlay

Thanks. Yes, I saw the invoice but didn't tie that together with the preprinted label.

So, it seems the seller ate the $11 or so. Is that what the original question was about, getting a bit of a deal on shipping 2nd day USPS? And, if so, that error was more than the sale itself.

Or getting the phones for free, actually, since the seller paid him to take the phones by a couple of bucks.

Dan/Panther

Are you kidding me, 2 day shipping of that much stuff for $11.70. I pay more for flat rate then taht.
How far did it get shipped across the street ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

The $11.70 on the sticker is the additional charge added at the post office. Most packages with preprinted labels don't have this extra sticker. The shipper has to pay the shipping in order to print the label; the weight and zone are shown, but whether or not the actual amount for shipping is shown on the label is up to the shipper.

The auction quoted $52.14 based on standard post for 34 lbs, or $71.75 based on the retail charge (price at the p.o.) for priority mail. Perhaps he printed a PM label although John requested standard post?

If the package weighed more than 34 lbs., or was over a certain size, that could have increased the cost over the printed label which was $61.20. It may have cost him a total of $61.20 + $11.70= $72.90

Babybearjs

John

Owain

WesternElectricBen

I've lost a couple bucks of profit before, too.

I find it kind of them to just pay the cost and move on.

Ben

Dan/Panther

Personally I would avoid the extra cost and wait a week. Shipping is already outrageous. JMHO
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson