News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

once again.... A gold 564 keyset on eBay

Started by Babybearjs, December 09, 2018, 11:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

so here we are talking about pink 302's that someone wants 5K for.... when I happen across the gold 564 that's been hiding in someone's collection and is found at an estate sale. the person wants $400 for it. quite within reason, but out of budget for me... so we now have the "Gold" I was talking about in another thread... and its not no $5000!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Western-Electric-Bell-System-Property-Not-For-Sale-Gold-Rotary-Desk-Phone/173670120662
John

Key2871

It's too bad that base cord looks like it got caught up under a truck. But the price, wow, start at the top and go from there...
KEN

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

That multiline cord looks like a teething puppy got to it - large number of what appear to be tooth indents.....   Do these gold sets bring the kind of money being asked?   I thought they normally go much lower, especially with lots of wear to the finish...
Paul

Babybearjs

Gold was a custom color option. not a lot of them out there, so yes, they can be considered "Scarce"!
John

Jim Stettler

Many of the gold sets were "1 in a million" sets. The story goes that every millionth set was gold colored WE (not Bell) and was given to an employee. The ones that are claimed to be 1-in-a-million have many matching date parts , sometimes including extra date stamps.

I have handled the 1-in-a billion set. It was trimline with a dull gold coating with a medallion on the handset that stated it was i-in a- 1,000,000,000. It had the name of the recipient as well.

The one in a million don't have any medallions.
They also made Imperial princess sets with gold bodies and white or black handsets, I have heard of silver princess imperials as well. I have never seen 1.. Sometimes you can find a princess that is totally gold. I also have seen a shiny gold trimline housing . I have seen a shiny silver WE handsets. I have also seen silver and gold SC 500's.

I sometimes buy these sets for my shiny collection.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Babybearjs

kind of like Christmas decorations, it's only available for a limited time! but from what you say, these were more of a trophy type phone.  only given to bell employees that exceed their expectations! (or at retirement) so, $400.00 is a fair price for the phone! as it is a trophy!
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 10, 2018, 04:35:17 PM
kind of like Christmas decorations, it's only available for a limited time! but from what you say, these were more of a trophy type phone.  only given to bell employees that exceed their expectations! (or at retirement) so, $400.00 is a fair price for the phone! as it is a trophy!

I think the imperial princess phones were available to the public. Some of the other WE sets  may be as well.
The only  "official" ones that I have heard of was the 1-in-a-million. That story is one that has been around for a long time. I don't think anyone has ever found any official document that states that. I had the story verbally confirmed by a high ranked WE executive long ago.
Jim
You live, You learn,